coues addict

Typical or Nontypical

3 miles from the truck eh? Well if it is that far, then they both get to walk and then I look around and wonder how I got that far from the truck, just exactly which way it is and if I can make it back before dark. :rolleyes:

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

i dont know i would have to be there and make up my mind i really really like a beautiful totally symtratical(sp) buck, but i also like the look of a one of a kind trash going everywhere ugly as can be buck! it totally depeneds but prolly the nontyp

casey

I would (without a second of thought) take the non-typ. I have taken lots of typicals and only had a chance to harvest a non-typical once. He was about a 2-3 year old buck and one side looked like a antelope horn but backwards. I had him at 200 yards broadside but decided to let him grow bigger. I figured I would see him again (this was a place I hunted regularly) but I never did again.

Great story CB1 that is a dream come true!

Travis

CB1

bob sure are some great bucks my friend. thank you for the story.also great job in trophy hunter I would have to say it has been the best publishing they have put out so far. If there was some elk and lions in it also . I would never come out of the restroom right.

Guest Lark Hubbard

what i wanna know, is who hunts that close to the truck? 3miles? i'm usually like 10 or 12 miles out by the time it's light enough to shoot. i forget we're talkin' coues too. put one in my pocket and eat the other one on the way to the truck i guess. for some reason i was thinkin' elk. them big bulls are are tough to pack whole. i had the opportunity once to shoot a typical and a nontypical at the same time. screwed around and missed em both. i wasn't trying to kill them both. either one would have been fine. just wanted to clear that up. saw the typical first and shot and missed and a big nontypical ran out and i missed him too. got several more shots at both of them, all missed. missed another huge buck later that morning too. i'd broke my scope the day before and was using iron sights and they were off some, plus i was about 17 and had perpetual buck fever. and never was real good with iron sights. that was a low day. shot over 20 rounds and didn't touch a hair. and shot at 3 of the biggest coues i've ever seen. i'm a heck of a shot too. no BS. but i have a hard time hitting the cula blancos. mule deer, elk, coyotes, no problem. i can think of 5 or 6 huge coues deer, like 120+, that i've had easy shots, at and missed. only good one i ever got finally ran into a bullet. literally. so i guess if we're talking hypethetically, i'd probly just miss anyway. something about coues deer, big ones, that just screws me up. and i always have the worst luck too. broke bones, broke truck, you name it. only places i've ever hunted them are the roughest places i've ever been too. oh well. one o' these days. and i ain't packin' one out for allan niether. he can pack his own deer. now i'm all depressed, thinkin' of all the big coues (is that an oxymoron) that i've missed. guess i'll be a carp hunter for ever.

Guest Ernesto C

Hey Lark good and funny story thanks for sharing it :) To bad your scope broke I guess we have to make sure our rifles are sighted in really good before the hunt and remember good practice makes perfect

With me I dont know why sometimes I miss the easy shoots and make the hard ones count,I guess I like to get them far from the nearest road :) Any way thanks for the story God bless you. :D

Ernesto C.

Until I am in Bob's fortunate situation, I would send the bullet towards the nontypical. I like the character of the trash sticking out all over the place.

Doug/RedRabbit

My .02 worth is what almost everyone else said! Non Typical.

3 miles sounds about right for me Just wondering is that 3 miles from the truck, uphill or downhill? :P

I have found that up hill or down hill 3 miles is a long ways with a buck on your back right. It is well worth going far of the roads to me. I have been lucky a couple of times to take a deer or two and one Elk from the road. I will tell you this it was on my way to the spot to get me far from the raods That i got those by the road. Lot's of guys have filled a tag from the road. It takes all kinds in this fine sport we love.

I would shoot the non typical first, and then shoot the typical as he was running away. Then i'd call ya on the radio coues_addict and have you put your tag on the typical. Then you could haul 'em both out for me. HEHE HAWHAW! Then when we get back to the jeep i'd hand ya an ice cold coke, and we'd make our way back to camp and make everyone green with envy. Then i'd have you skin both of these monsters, while i went into the tent and took a nap , because its hard work killin' two monsters like that in one day!!! LOL

Then you could say you worked your butt off for that beauty!

Of course then you couldn't say that you had to spot my buck for me like you always have to! Aint that right pop!

Edited by coues_slaya_jr

after the trip that i just got back from(school trip) 5 days backpacking in utah rainbow bridge. we hiked over 40 miles in 5 days and it was either straight up or straight down three miles aint shoot with that little weight on, my pack was over 80 pounds. but it would be nice to pack out a non typ.

casey

Here are the pics of Bob Horchler's two bucks from Mexico. These photos are scans of ones that appeared in the Spring 2004 issue of Trophy Hunter magazine. These photos are provided here with the permission of Rusty Hall, owner of the magazine.

horchler-buck-1.jpg

horchler-buck-2.jpg

Guest Guest

yep i am stoked but i would agree w/ ernesto rifle harvest then hit the other w/ a bow granted i could put the big sneek on him and her w/out gettin busted in jan. happy huntin!!