Sign in to follow this  
6ANut

Coconino County Hunters

I had a Forest Service person tell me that if you get a wood cutting permit, you can drive down the roads that are closed. Anyone else heard anything similar to this. He said to throw a chain saw in the back of your truck and your pretty much good to drive down any of the closed roads. My fear if this is true is that the game and fish would still fine you for using a closed road to harvest an animal, if I read the regs correctly. Any input?

Sounds pretty fishey to me!!! Right off the Coconino website. I do not think Fish and game will ticket you, it is the forest service thats doing all the changes, not even sure if fish and game supports any of it.Could be wrong though.

firewood permit.doc

Seems like someone wants me to get a ticket and buy a wood cutting permit, man they really want our money.

• Like 1

Seems like someone wants me to get a ticket and buy a wood cutting permit, man they really want our money.

Your chainsaw will end up missing too.

• Like 1

I had a Forest Service person tell me that if you get a wood cutting permit, you can drive down the roads that are closed. Anyone else heard anything similar to this. He said to throw a chain saw in the back of your truck and your pretty much good to drive down any of the closed roads. My fear if this is true is that the game and fish would still fine you for using a closed road to harvest an animal, if I read the regs correctly. Any input?

If you're cutting wood then you shouldn't be harvesting a deer.

Thats funny, just last weekend I had a FS guy tell me that if I paid him $500 that I get access to all the roads at any time. It was the best $500 I ever spent......you guys didn't do that???

jk

• Like 1

PRDATR Pretty obvious I wouldnt be cutting wood and killing animals. Only use cutting wood as the excuse I was on the road.

• I interpreted it be that you would get a permit and harvest a deer under the premise you were there cutting wood.

If I had a deer tag, and a wood permit..........and was out gettin wood.............and I seen a deer...........bang..............two for one deal :) Course the only time I see shootable deer is outa season and when I don't have a gun...........or a tag.....

FYI

NEWS RELEASE

U.S. Dept. of Agriculture

U.S. Forest Service

Coconino National Forest

www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino

www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF

www.flickr.com/photos/coconinonationalforest

For Immediate Release

Aug. 28, 2012

Public Affairs Contacts:

Brady Smith, Coconino National Forest, 928-527-3490

Brienne Magee, Flagstaff Ranger District, 928-527-8290

Connie Birkland, Red Rock Ranger District, 928-203-7505

Cross-country travel causing resource damage on national forest

Flagstaff, AZ – With the beginning of hunting season, more hunters and motorists are frequenting Coconino National Forest and scouting for good locations—both for camping and for hunting.

Many visitors are still unaware of the Travel Management Rule, which began in May that established a primary network of open roads for traversing the forest, prohibiting motorized cross-country travel in order to protect the natural resource.

On Friday, the first day of deer hunting season for archers, Coconino NF officials received many phone calls from the public regarding hunters and motorists who were driving in an area prohibited to motor vehicle use. With the recent monsoon activity and rain, the vehicles became stuck and caused considerable resource damage in a sensitive meadow area.

Law enforcement officers responded to a meadow just west of A-1 Mountain, where six individuals were given 10 citations for violations such as driving cross-country in a closed area and causing resource damage.

Forest officials urge hunters and motorists to keep motorized vehicles on open roads and out of closed areas and closed roads. Free Motor Vehicle Use Maps are available at any ranger station and can also be downloaded to a smartphone, tablet and Garmin GPS receiver for use as a live navigational aid. For downloading, please visit http://go.usa.gov/PEa. (Web link is character-sensitive)

“Requiring motorists to only drive on those routes and areas shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map is a big change,” said Jon Nelson, Coconino NF law enforcement patrol captain. “In the past, people were able to drive off of roads with their motor vehicles, which created new roads and impacted the natural and cultural resources of the forest. Travel management will help us balance the public’s enjoyment of motorized travel with the best possible care of the land.”