AZHUNTER05

Loop hole in dead animal removal for elk in coconino forest???

Ok this is my understanding. Game and fish is not going to enforce this rule but if you are stopped by the forest service I promise you they will write you a ticket. The reason I say game and fish is not going to enforce the rule is because that is what several unit managers have told me. But understand you are dealing with two different law enforcement agencies both of which have jurisdiction. So just because game and fish decides not to write you a ticket does not mean forest service can't. I think the wood cutting permit is a stellar idea. Hope this helps. For that person who takes the chance and ends up with a ticket remember you were warned. Good luck to everyone.

Unless you are in a wheelchair, you shouldn't be concerned about driving off road. My goodness, if you are able bodied enough to shoot the animal, then you are able bodied enough to quarter it and pack it out!

• Like 1

On the Motor Vehicle Use Map (Coconino National Forest) it states on bottom left : When an elk has been legally taken in Game Management Units 6A, 6B, 7E, 7W, and 8 the individual who legally took the animal may drive or be driven to the down elk. Now at the end of pharagragh it also states: Motor vehicle use off of designated roads is not allowed for game retrieval of any species, including elk, in game management units 5A. 5B, 5BN and 11. I will be in unit 11M so im not allowed to drive down some roads, trails which is fine, my wife and i have bikes and a bike trailer which is how we have done our scouting and if we do down our elks the bike trailer will also aid us in retrieving them. I just hope we dont pedal our A$$es off just to have another hunter pass by on a atv/utv and beat us to our spots :(

• Like 1

thats funny Ahunter,you will get your workout peddaling b4 you even get too your spot to start hiking.

Well, we will drive our ranger to area we are allowed to drive on, then ride bikes the last two miles before we walk into our honey hole :rolleyes:

The rules for the wood cutting permit state no scouting for wood New in 2012

The Travel Management Rule is in effect on the Coconino. Unless specified elsewhere on the permit or identified as prohibited, motorized off road travel is authorized to access and load firewood. The permit does not authorize motorized cross country travel to scout for wood. The permit authorizes off-road vehicular use by the most direct route in and out of the area to accomplish firewood retrieval. Off-road travel is not permitted to "scout" for wood. Please use a MVUM in conjunction with your firewood guide. Roads not identified as “open” roads on the MVUM are not considered "roads" in the provision. Using these "roads" would be considered the same as “cross country travel” and should only be used to access and load firewood that has been previously located and cut without using your

The rules for the wood cutting permit state no scouting for wood New in 2012

The Travel Management Rule is in effect on the Coconino. Unless specified elsewhere on the permit or identified as prohibited, motorized off road travel is authorized to access and load firewood. The permit does not authorize motorized cross country travel to scout for wood. The permit authorizes off-road vehicular use by the most direct route in and out of the area to accomplish firewood retrieval. Off-road travel is not permitted to "scout" for wood. Please use a MVUM in conjunction with your firewood guide. Roads not identified as “open” roads on the MVUM are not considered "roads" in the provision. Using these "roads" would be considered the same as “cross country travel” and should only be used to access and load firewood that has been previously located and cut without using your

Like i said get a permit keep a saw in your truck and go cut some wood and get your elk on the way out!!!!!! Perfectly legal