Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore34A

Arizona's big 10 with a bow

Tony can probably help with this. I know the first person was Corky Richardson's wife, i think her name is cindy. This was followed a few hours later by Brian Ham. I think Corky complered his last year also. Not sure who else may have completed this task.

The Arizona SCI chapters also issue a Big Ten Award, but it is for taking all ten animals with any method. I don't think they have a separate award for taking all ten animals with a bow.

Bill Quimby

Tony can probably help with this. I know the first person was Corky Richardson's wife, i think her name is cindy. This was followed a few hours later by Brian Ham. I think Corky complered his last year also. Not sure who else may have completed this task.

Yup, you're dead on. Cindi and Brian finished theirs with buffalo on the Kaibab a couple years ago. Corky needed a sheep and did that last year.

post-82-0-58326700-1347485972.jpg

post-82-0-13822200-1347485994.jpg

Bowhunting in Arizona

History

boy-thumb.jpg In May 1975, Tom Dalrymple suggested to the executive board of the Arizona Bowhunters and Field Archery Association that they establish a standing committee to develop a records program for bowhunters. The board approved the idea and appointed him chairman July 5, 1975. On November 11, 1975, the first committee meeting was held.

The Committee spent many hours exploring procedures and rules that would be fair to the hunter while maintaining the credibility of the program. The Committee recognized that every application and every hunter should be accepted as truthful, yet it felt the responsibility to establish procedures to protect the accuracy and validity of the records listings.

Following many hours of discussion and numerous letters and contacts with other programs, the Committee set the minimum scores, appointed official measurers, wrote the By-laws, and planned the first edition. The first measurer’s seminar was held on August 7, 1976. The fair chase statement was defined and application forms distributed throughout the state. In November 1976, the first application was approved.

One of Arizona's original Bowhunters

Az. Historical Society Museum Photo #60405

As the program continued to move forward toward publication of the first edition, the record keeping system was perfected and the listings began to take form. The Committee chose to include substantially more information about each animal taken to enhance the value of the listings.

The program became official when the executive board of ABFAA adopted the By-laws on February 18, 1978. Meanwhile, the Committee designed the awards and certificates with the help of wildlife artist Baldimar Garcia. In June 1979, the awards programs were approved. The first edition was distributed in July 1980 at the Arizona Bowhunter’s Association’s Mormon Lake Shoot. Two thousand copies sold quickly.

After observing a variety of problems occurring with other programs affiliated with various organizations, the Record Book Committee dissolved their previous affiliation with ABFAA. On July 1, 1980, the committee filed Articles of Incorporation with the State of Arizona.

Initially, the plan was to publish a record book every ten years. Due to the highly positive response to the first edition, the Committee decreased the time between editions and published the second book in 1985. After publication of the second edition the Committee realized that publishing every five years did not allow sufficient time between editions. Therefore, the third edition was published after the eighth biennial recording period ended in 1992. All subsequent editions are scheduled to be published every fourth biennial recording period with eight years between editions.

Changes in the program between the 2nd and 3rd editions included (1) new categories for Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, non-typical Elk and non-typical Coues deer; (2) elimination of the double deduction for abnormally wide antlers; (3) an increase in the minimum scores for typical Elk and Desert Bighorn Sheep; and (4) a decrease in the deduction for antlers measured in velvet from five to two and one-half percent.

A few modifications in the program have been made since publication of the 3rd edition. The changes include: (1) A new category for Bison; (2) a new award called the Kaibab Award was authorized to be given to the archer who demonstrates a lifelong commitment to hunting with a bow and arrow and in doing so exemplifies the ideals of skill and determination embodied in the Cochise Award by continuing to hunt every one of the species available in Arizona; (3) An Awards Banquet was authorized to be organized every two years for the purpose of recognizing the Biennial Award recipients.

Additional changes made since the 4th Edition include: (1) A new category for Gould's Turkey; and (2) A change to the method used to determine an antlered animal's eligibility for entry as a Non-Typical. lngarw-smthumb.jpg

Copyrighted © all rights reserved

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2012 at 4:35 PM, Millhouse said:

Cool goal, good luck! What are the other two you got without a bow? What has been your most enjoyable so far?

So, the four left that I would like to get with my bow are a lion, mule deer and the two that will probably take forever, sheep and buffalo.

So, the four left that I would like to get with my bow are a lion, mule deer (should be easy, but I've become a whitetail snob), and the two that will probably take forever, sheep and buffalo. It's funny you ask about the most enjoyable, because it's always been the most recent that I've gotten. First it was a javelina, then it was elk, then antelope, turkey, then it seemed whitetail was the most rewarding cause I had chased them for so many years. But the latest, a big bear was the most enjoyable so far. I've taken a lion and a mule deer, but witha rifle and a muzzleloader.

So, Bill, and Outdoor writer, are you saying there may only be 3 others that have accomplished this with a bow? Corky, his wife, and Brian? I actually know Brian and will ask him about this. I would think there's got to be a few more. Maybe not though, as hard as it is to not just get a sheep tag, but to kill one with a bow......

I'm not sure if anyone else has done it with a bow. I know Corky's dad, George, has killed a slew of critters with a bow, but he might not have a sheep yet. And I think Corky's son, Russell, might also be close. He already has a buffalo and might also just need a sheep.

As a rifle hunter, I've had 8 of the ten for years, some species in multiples. The hang up, as it has been with me, is usually drawing the permits for desert sheep and buffalo. I finally have a sheep permit in hand for Dec., so hopefully, that will be #9. And maybe I'll draw a buff tag before I'm sleeping with worms. :D

As was mentioned earlier, the Bowhunting In Arizona record book is a good source for such information. It has a table in the back that lists every hunter that has ever entered an animal to the records program, and a list of every animal that person has entered (whether or not it made the minimum for entry).

Jim Machac has taken the Big 10 in AZ with a bow.

Barry Sopher has taken EVERY big game animal in the State with a bow, including BOTH turkeys and BOTH sheep and every small predator (fox, bobcat and coyote). He is the first to do this and just completed it this year.

Randy Liljenquist has taken the Super Slam (all North America big game species with a bow), but I don't believe he has taken a sheep in AZ with a bow.

As was mentioned earlier, the Bowhunting In Arizona record book is a good source for such information. It has a table in the back that lists every hunter that has ever entered an animal to the records program, and a list of every animal that person has entered (whether or not it made the minimum for entry).

Jim Machac has taken the Big 10 in AZ with a bow.

Barry Sopher has taken EVERY big game animal in the State with a bow, including BOTH turkeys and BOTH sheep and every small predator (fox, bobcat and coyote). He is the first to do this and just completed it this year.

Randy Liljenquist has taken the Super Slam (all North America big game species with a bow), but I don't believe he has taken a sheep in AZ with a bow.

got to get a rio turkey now :)

I used rifles, muzzleloaders, handguns and bows to take my Big Ten, which I completed in 1993 after waiting 39 years to draw a sheep tag. The only game animals I've taken with a bow were javelinas and one mule deer.

Bill Quimby

Incidentally, taking four types of North American wild sheep is called a Grand Slam. A Super Slam includes the Grand Slam and a bunch of Asian sheep.

That is not what a Super Slam is. A bowhunting Super Slam is all 29 big game animals in NORTH AMERICA, as recognized by the Pope & Young Club. I believe you are thinking of a World Slam, which I understand is 12 sheep from around the world.