Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Best Tacoma 3" Lift

Go Toyo Mt's or Nitto Trail Grapplers pretty close to same quality of tire they are sister companies. My brother and I have Nitto Trail Grapplers 35/12.5/18 load range E and we have gotten 40,000 miles on a set with a 7500 lb 1 ton. Two buddies have Toyos they last a little less then the TG's and have a higher price tag also. Trail grapplers are a little quieter on the highway then the Toyos.

Thanks Coach. I had a revtek 3 inch left before i put my procomp on it. It didnt ride well at all the steering wheel was always shaking really bad. It rides awesome with the 6 inch lift. Reganranch My toyos are holding up really well. I dont tow much besides our bass boat and quad trialer but with Tacomas being so lite ill be able to get 55+ thousand miles out of them. One heck of a tire.

Well, It's finally done. I got some great feedback from you guys and Chef really educated me on a lot of things to look at.

I opted for and Old Man Emu setup sold by Toytech. It's about $300+ or so cheaper than their "ultimate lift", but has essentially the same compontents, just different brand. The main difference is, the OME front coils provide about 2.5" of front lift, but for $150 they send the front coils already compressed with a .5" spacer to give it a full 3" in the front. The back is pretty much the same, an add-a-leaf and better shocks - just OME heavy shocks instead of Bilstein.

The instructions were easy to follow, and while it took the better part of a day to do the fronts, I could do it in a couple hours, having done it once. The backs were harder than I expected because you really have to be careful to not stress the soft brake lines when separating the leafs from the rear diff. At first it's easy, but it can get tricky. If I had to do it again, I would totally separate the rear leaf springs and re-install them instead of trying to force the add-a-leaf in while the main springs are still attached. That would have saved some work for sure.

After doing the 3" lift, I had Discount Tire add 255/85 r16 BFG Mud Terrains with some zero offset wheels give more clearance of the upper A-arm. Lifting a Taco and adding bigger tires is pretty delicate since the stock tires and wheels are so close to the mechanics. There's very little room to work up front, and some guys have to do a lot of cutting to clear bigger tires. Luckily, I only have to trim a little plastic to accomodate the 33" tires.

post-478-0-08737000-1351134407_thumb.png

One after a bath...

post-478-0-76737900-1351134444_thumb.png

Wanna see before pics

Sorry, I didn't take any "before" pix. Think of a dirty black roller skate worn by many before you, lol - some journey, disco lights... you get the picture. It wasn't pretty. My skid plates are so amazingly mangled from trying to make this truck go places stock my older toyo trucks went. Next project is get with Standman and his cousin to build some real skid plates, then on to the rock sliders.

These tacos aren't 1/2 of the 1st and 2nd gen toyota trucks we're used to. One little limb and we get an education on "crumple zones". LOL.