Sign in to follow this  
flatline

Unit 6A

This is my first post been on here for a year just reading and learning,joined about a month or so ago. My son (12) and I got a December rifle whitetail and i have never hunted deer in this unit just elk, I have been scouting for deer why i have been on elk hunts with friends and will scout again on my sons Jr.elk hunt in 6A, But i could use some hints,advice,and just a lead in the right direction,not looking for someone's honey hole just some tips. Thanks Joey

This is my first post been on here for a year just reading and learning,joined about a month or so ago. My son (12) and I got a December rifle whitetail and i have never hunted deer in this unit just elk, I have been scouting for deer why i have been on elk hunts with friends and will scout again on my sons Jr.elk hunt in 6A, But i could use some hints,advice,and just a lead in the right direction,not looking for someone's honey hole just some tips. Thanks Joey

welcome here!!

good seeing you in the archery hunt!

A lot of good people here.

good luck on your hunts!

James

welcome here!!

good seeing you in the archery hunt!

A lot of good people here.

good luck on your hunts!

James

Thanks James we need to get together again

I lived in Camp Verde and have hunted 6A. I have hunted cedar flats but most of the deer I seen there were Muley's but did see five head of whitetail there. I seen more couse down by the river going the old road to Strawberry. Their in the area just harder to fined then the muley's..

Thanks to all the had sent me private messages to help me out, Me and my son didn't get to fill the tags :( . Opening weekend was miserable with the weather Saw elk, muleys and coyotes. We had to leave opening weekend cause of all the snow and rain. Next weekend finally found some whitetail does and i believe a buck but not 100% sure. Then we glassed a buck about 500 yards out i wanted to get closer so we moved in and lost him,Last weekend of hunt sucked didn't even find a deer weather was getting bad this evening so i left. I believe 7 days of hunting and i seen only 2 whitetail bucks pretty disappointing for a trophy hunt as everyone calls it. Why do they call this a trophy hunt or rut hunt? I didn't see any rutting going on at all. Bucks where almost dormant.

Plus i'm not that great of a hunter

flatline don't get too discouraged, lack of knowledge of where to go and how to actually hunt them beloved little buggers takes time. That late hunt is awesome, wish I had the tag. I went out a time or two to glass with friends and we never had a tough time finding the deer in 6A but we also know how to hunt it and where to look. Between now and the next time you get a tag spend some good quality time behind some good binoculars and you'll eventually find them. Sorry this hunt didn't work out for you but it will eventually, just keep at it and keep us posted.