Sign in to follow this  

Trailcam Suggestion

I'm going to buy two more trail cams. What is the best trail cam going for a cheap price. Like 50-100 bucks? Something in that price range so when it gets ripped off a tree it won't be a big loss....

Walmart has a digital for $100, its the Moultrie. I got one for Christmas and have put it out twice without any animals flocking to it. This last time I put it on a cattle tank so I will see if the deer are a little more cooperative this time. Going to check it out next week.

I also bought two cards for it so I can swap the cards without removing the camera. I take my digital camera with me to check and if no animal pics I move the game cam. Good luck from a beginner.

Guest JOM

I here moltire are very good for the price,but most of the cheaper cameras

are to slwow for trail use,they work fine on water . Ihave only used 35mm

cameras and I think the nontypical trailcam is the best.

I have bought 3 Moultries from Wally World and 1 works great. The second one was extremeley slow to trigger and took washed out pics. I took it back and just tried the 3rd one. It is extremely slow to trigger just like the 2nd but it does take pics. i am taking it apart as I write to see if I can improve it cause if I can walk up within 4 ft before it goes off then it is worthless to me. There may be a reason wmart doesn't sell them anymore. Good luck with whatever you buy.

I have bought 3 Moultries from Wally World and 1 works great. The second one was extremeley slow to trigger and took washed out pics. I took it back and just tried the 3rd one. It is extremely slow to trigger just like the 2nd but it does take pics. i am taking it apart as I write to see if I can improve it cause if I can walk up within 4 ft before it goes off then it is worthless to me. There may be a reason wmart doesn't sell them anymore. Good luck with whatever you buy.

A huge +1

I set mine up next to the front door with a fresh battery, and left it there for the week. It would catch me about every third or fourth time going by. But by the time it flashed, I was already closing the door, or in the next room. :lol: If you find a way to fix it, please let me know, I just put a camo pattern on mine, but as it is right now it's useless. I was wondering why they didn't sell them anymore. :P My friend has a couple, and he loves them, and says they work perfect. I may have to snag one of his for testing. :lol:

FWIW I just picked up a new digi cam at wal-mart on Friday at the Payson store. It was only $50 and is about half the size of the older one. The sensor is much more sensitive than the older one, and it's compact size is a huge plus IMO. I'm giving mine a new paint job right now.

the 35mm stealth O Cam will cost ya 50-60 dollars, it's pretty good...even the little dove and quails set it off at tanks, only problem is that you have to wait either an hour or a day to get your pictures

the 35mm stealth O Cam will cost ya 50-60 dollars, it's pretty good...even the little dove and quails set it off at tanks, only problem is that you have to wait either an hour or a day to get your pictures

All of last year I would drop my 35mm stealth cam off on Sunday night, and pick it up late Friday night, Then the next morning it was a trip into Flag. to get the film developed and a quick breakfast to kill some time. :D

My buddy and I have bought several of the Moultrie cameras from Walmart and had the same results folks posted here. About 1 out of 3 or 4 works really well. Our problem has not been so much with the lapse before it takes a picture but with the sensitivity of the PIR. If you set them to take 3 pictures the first won't trigger unless you are VERY close. Then the others work just fine. There is a thread on the bowsite that talks about a fix, but I tried it and found it didn't help much.

We've gone to the stealth-o-cam wild view cameras for this year (around $60). They are only .3 megapixels and don't print the date/time on the pictures. The low resolution is OK with me because it's good enough to see what's coming in. It would be nice to know when though so you can get an idea of the pattern.

If you are willing to do a little work and spend a little more, I recommend building your own. I built one using a kit from pixcontroller.com and it works really well. The PIR is adjustable, you can take the camera out and use it separately if you want, etc. It's not very difficult to build either if you use the RS-232 model - you don't have to open the camera and solder wires into it or anything like that. If you are patient and good a good deal on a camera off of ebay, you can build them for around $120 each.

I just bought two Stealth cam DIGRC-XTRV. Cams off ebay. cabelas sells them for 299.00 bucks I got both for 190.00. I put them out last nite and will check them thursday evening.

they both workd great in the back yard when I was testing them out, they will also do 10 sec video clips. and will take up to a 256mb card.

R L