Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

Crushed by my Quad.....almost.

I did a bonzi off a 50' cliff once at the dunes with my wife on the back....(DON'T DRINK A RIDE!!!) but in our case it was good that we were a little tipsy because if we weren't it could have been deadly. The doc said since we were relaxed it saved our lives. When I do drink (once or twice a year now) it is either 1 or 2 beers. I just can't seem to come to like alcohol any more. Quads can and are VERY dangerous. I have 2 YFZ450 at my house that I have not touched for 3 years.

I did a bonzi off a 50' cliff once at the dunes with my wife on the back....(DON'T DRINK A RIDE!!!) but in our case it was good that we were a little tipsy because if we weren't it could have been deadly. The doc said since we were relaxed it saved our lives. When I do drink (once or twice a year now) it is either 1 or 2 beers. I just can't seem to come to like alcohol any more. Quads can and are VERY dangerous. I have 2 YFZ450 at my house that I have not touched for 3 years.

I used to race Motocross back in the mid to late 90's, on a YZ 250. Ended up taking an ambulance ride to Casa Grande Hosptial. I gave up the daredevil stuff years ago. I putt around on my Polaris, and try not to do anything that will get me hurt.

That "liquid courage" can get ya in trouble ;)

ATV accidents are all too common. Om January 17, 2010 I was riding with 6 other experienced riders. I was leading. We were in the bottom of a canyon with a bad washout that was fairly easy to ride if you were on your toes. Well I wasn't on my toes and didn't travel fast enough and had a slow speed slide into a deep rut. My right hand crushed the throttle in a reaction to hold on and the last thing I remember was hearing one of my friends, on the radio, say..."Bill is going down". Under full throttle in low gear I crashed in to the opposite canyon wall and climbed onto a shelf 5 feet above the trail. The Honda Rincon was on it's side. I was sitting next to the atv under a gasoline drip. Thanks to a rear hard box, that prevented a roll over, I wasn't killed. However I managed to crash into the gps mounted on the handle bar. 19 miles from no where I didn't feel too bad. Well I decided to ride out as a passenger in a friend's Razor and his passenger rode my Rincon out. I spent 4 days in the Scottsdale Trauma Center with 7 ribs broken in 10 places and a collapsed lung (pneumothorax for trivia buffs). In addition to my helmet I now wear a top quality chest protector. I'm still riding. The first few hundred miles were tentative but I am back in the saddle 100% and have logged over 2,000 off road miles since the accident. Be careful out there........and if you ride any where without a helmet you need to have an Organ Donor Card on your person. (Send me an PM if you want to know how to obtain one easily) Reason......you are a fool that will eventually have an accident and someone can use your parts. You won't need them any longer.

ATV accidents are all too common. Om January 17, 2010 I was riding with 6 other experienced riders. I was leading. We were in the bottom of a canyon with a bad washout that was fairly easy to ride if you were on your toes. Well I wasn't on my toes and didn't travel fast enough and had a slow speed slide into a deep rut. My right hand crushed the throttle in a reaction to hold on and the last thing I remember was hearing one of my friends, on the radio, say..."Bill is going down". Under full throttle in low gear I crashed in to the opposite canyon wall and climbed onto a shelf 5 feet above the trail. The Honda Rincon was on it's side. I was sitting next to the atv under a gasoline drip. Thanks to a rear hard box, that prevented a roll over, I wasn't killed. However I managed to crash into the gps mounted on the handle bar. 19 miles from no where I didn't feel too bad. Well I decided to ride out as a passenger in a friend's Razor and his passenger rode my Rincon out. I spent 4 days in the Scottsdale Trauma Center with 7 ribs broken in 10 places and a collapsed lung (pneumothorax for trivia buffs). In addition to my helmet I now wear a top quality chest protector. I'm still riding. The first few hundred miles were tentative but I am back in the saddle 100% and have logged over 2,000 off road miles since the accident. Be careful out there........and if you ride any where without a helmet you need to have an Organ Donor Card on your person. (Send me an PM if you want to know how to obtain one easily) Reason......you are a fool that will eventually have an accident and someone can use your parts. You won't need them any longer.

Safety is paramount. I never ride without my helmet on. The chest protector is a good idea. I used to wear one when I raced.

Glad you survived it.

I had a friend who had to be Air Evac out due to a roll over, going slow in rough terrain. Also sat in a packed house with a bunch of others listening to eulogy after eulogy for a co-worker who died instantly. That one touched a lot of lives and could have been prevented.