Sign in to follow this  
cardawg

Where to Start ?

2011 was my 1st try at a AZ Coues deer,the good and the bad The good I drew a tag,the bad,due to a mistake on my part filling out the hunt application,I drew a unit 8 tag,stuff place for your first try at a Coues I found out.Learned alot and got alot of help from alot of members here,but no deer.Going to try again,not asking for anyones secret spots.just what units would be good to apply for to have a better chance at one.Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry you didn't fill your tag but thats the way it goes sometimes, even in the Units that have high deer densities. You can start by looking at Units that have high amounts of tags and also look at hunter success for the different hunts.

Let me guess...You we're putting in for a mule deer tag and then recieved the coues tag on accident, and now you are addicted to coues.

Gutpile,you called it right,was intending to apply for a Mule deer tag and checked the wrong spot on the application,saw lots of Elk and Mule deer on that hunt including some nice Mule deer bucks,but no Coues.

Lots of deer in the southern units (36 A, B and C) and lots of left over tags down there, but you have to be willing to put up with the illegal immigration problem. Units 29 and 32 are nice too. Check out the statistics for the units in the Hunt Arizona book put out by AGFD, they have a downloadable PDF on their website.

Bro you are fine in that unit for whiteys..Hunt the plateau ridges of sycamore caynon..."MONSTERS" in there.. rough country steep as it gets but those grey ghosts love it...they will bed on those steep ridges and feed on the flats just above them..stay patient...make sure you have a whitetail in your crosshairs and not a ropetail cause there is lot of both in there....and alot of bear...so if if you smell somthing not right better put your head on a swivel....if nothing else there are some of the best views from that rim that is for sure so bring a camera.....So good luck, dont stress and enjoy yourself....

29, 30B, 31, 32, 34A, 36A,B,C ..... well any of the southeastern units have good deer numbers. You have to do scouting and glassing !!