Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Ducks... What do they look like again???

Put in a full day of driving and hiking and didn't see a dang duck on any of the tanks down here. In fact, only a few held any water at all. Where the heck are they? Also, anybody know whether or not there's farms in and around Willcox willing to let folks grab some Geese when/if they migrate?

Guest akaspecials

We saw a couple hundred today. Mostly teal. Only shot 4 cause the good ducks weren't decoying and there were a few sky busters (grumble grumble grumble). Anyways, keep looking. They are in pockets.

Aka, you're probably on big water up north... Right?

Guest akaspecials

I've been hunting mostly small water/rivers in southern and central az. I've heard mixed reports on northern az. I haven't personally been up there though. All the birds I've been hunting are very well educated though. We see them but can't get them to land in our spread or some idiot sky bust them when they are working our decoys. It's been tough. We see them but can't get too many down. It's still early though. From what I've seen it's mostly teal migrating so far. Not many of the other ducks have made it down.

Ducks have not moved in just yet up north 6 malllards in 3 hours way to long for up here. After the last 3 years of ducks for days seems slow this year. I have some buddies in Utah and Wyoming when they get their first winter snow about a week after the birds start coming.

Guest akaspecials

Quit hunting Picacho and that will eliminate most of the moron sky busters. That place is a skybuster magnet

Not hunting picacho. Hunted 3 different areas so far this year and everyplace has had sky busters and guys pretending thier duck call is a kazoo. I blame duck dynasty. Lol.

Picacho has water, and has a good amount of ducks on it. Problem as stated above is People. In most places, more people = ducks moving and a good thing. At Picacho, seems like more people sky bust and just keeps the ducks high and far.

saw a big flock o ducks on the tonto just above orange peal on saturday.

James

Ya I hunted picacho 2 years ago... Just a bunch of idiots out there. I'm off tomorrow though and have nothig else to do so I might drive out there and check it out. Does anyone know how deep it is? Can I wade across it?

My bro and I have been doing excellent this year on San Carlos. I've shot 15 times with my longbow to various ducks in mid-flight (less than 20yds with wings cupped) and have a few feathers to show for it. We had a blast.... :D Although he/bro was my back-up with the 12ga. "shotty" he downed 11 this past weekend. Mixed bag of teal and mallards. Easy decoying. All I want is one duck with bent stick and string.

• Like 1

I also have been longing to shoot one with my longbow. Been training for it!

strting to show up around the valley...

won't be long til' you start seeing some.

James