Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Venison Tamales

Well, a lot of views but no tips so I guess I will forge ahead and post more over the weekend. Check back for the story and pictures.

Wife and I just made 21 dozen yesterday. I will try and get a recipe from her. I know she uses new mexico hot dried chiles...boils them for x amount of time..then blends them to a sauce...mixes it with whatever meat we kill. We use unprepared maza and add a ton of lard to it...no idea how much(she wings it). we whip the lard till its good and creamy...mix in the maza until you can drop a little piece of it in hot water and it floats right to the top....then go to work...we also put 3 green olives in each tamale we make.Adding store bought meat isnt required unless you don't have enuf game meat. This batch was javelina and deer. Or save the headache and buy some from a local family who makes them. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $20 a dozen for all the time and money invested in them..Hope yours turned out good.

Ok so I have to say our project was a huge success.

We cooked a 3 lb elk roast and about 2 lbs of pork butt in the crock pot with some dried chiles, green onion, and oregano from the garden untill fall apart tender. Simmered Food City brand dried chiles with onion, garlic, and cilantro cubes (by Knorr from Food City). Pureed the chile mix in the blender then mixed the shredded meat with the chile puree. Added chipotle powder to some and left some mild for the kids.

post-2937-0-45224100-1354071577_thumb.jpg

Then we prepared the masa. We bought 5 lbs of unprepared masa from Food City. Whipped 1 lb of salted butter in the bowl, added 5lbs of masa, 2 tsp baking powder, and about 2 cups of chicken broth/crockpot meat broth and a bag of frozen corn. Mixed well,

post-2937-0-91493400-1354071875_thumb.jpg+

Soaked the husks for a couple hours while watching football and enjoying a beer.

Rolled tamales with a generous helping of meat and a green olive.

post-2937-0-47091800-1354072192_thumb.jpg

Had fresh green chiles from the garden so added them to some for variety.

Tied with a strip of husk because I like it that way...

post-2937-0-28595000-1354072329_thumb.jpg

Steamed for 45 minutes in a big tamale pot.

post-2937-0-16574000-1354072399_thumb.jpg

And then enjoyed on the fine Sponge Bob china with the kids.

post-2937-0-81169900-1354072561_thumb.jpg

A fine way to spice up the holidays and enjoy the bounty of nature. Also made smoked chicken leg tamales, green chile and cheese, and ground chicken and tomatillo tamales. All great but I prefer the classic red hot tamale.

Not so bad with some extra hands and tamales to fuel us on the late hunts.

I'm envious, I love to eat tamales but don't have a clue how to make them.

I like to stick a couple in my pack in tinfoil, start a small fire and roll them in the coals on a hillside while I'm glassing, pretty tasty lunch.

Hey guys looks great! Couple of tips that I learned from a co-worker when I helped him make tamales before:

Instead of using chicken broth or water to mix your masa, use the stock/broth from where you cooked your meat. Gives the masa a really nice flavor that compliments the meat.

Also, I didnt see anyone using, or mention using a strainer for the red chili? Once you boil the pods and blend it it is best to pour it through a strainer to remove the little bits of seed an skin. The traditional device is cone shaped and uses a wooden pestle. It is amazing how much skin and seed parts you can filter out, leaving only the red chili juice behind. I find that if that step is omitted that the red chili will have a very bitter taste due to the seeds and skin.

Makes me hungry for red chili!

Jeff

Looks great!

I have to say, I have never made tamales...ever.

Seems to be a staple, especially around the holidays.

Thanks for sharing and I love the photos!