redneck74

lion in the 36A,B & C

Have hunted for years in 36B and some in 36A. There are tons of lion (too many) in 36B in particular. I know of a draw in there that is littered with deer bones most of the time. Don't even go down there without a lion tag in your pocket. I have seen 2 lions while hunting down there, just never connected, yet.

Lee

4 years ago i had a 36b oct. tag.....4 day hunt and i saw 3 different lions!!! one ran across the road in front of me at night right outside of Arivaca. and the other 2 i saw were together about 8 miles out of town.

I glassed one last year on a December hunt in 36B. Make sure you have lion tag with you.

Like has been said, there are quite a few cats in those units, definitely have a tag in your pocket! One year while Archery hunting in 36B in Jan. I glassed up this cat as it was sleeping on it's back! It was in some really thick brush, but I saw the "off-color" spot through an opening and quickly put the peices together to form an upside down lion laying with it's feet in the air! It was laying there, a little over 200 yrds straight across the canyon, facing us with it's eyes closed! We had just rode in on quads to our glassing spot and hiked down to where we were sitting when shortly after I found this cat. The terrain wouldn't allow a stalk with our bows, so we just sat there enjoying the moment for a while through the binos. I had already killed a cat before and this was Brets first he's ever seen, so it was a no brainer when we remembered the .22-.250 sitting in the trailer, 2 miles down the road back at camp. The cat let us walk down to this spot, so hopefully it would let us walk back up? Bret snuck back up to the quads, and made record time to camp and back with the rifle. As Bret snuck back down to me, the cat opened her eyes and just watched him get set up for the shot, still on her back. The first shot missed and she just rolled over onto her belly, the second shot missed ( this was really a tense moment ) and the cat jumped uphill facing away and his third shot was perfect! There was a dead cow in the wash below her that she had been eating, it was old and rancid, I didn't think they ate rotten meat like that, but she was old and had very few teeth left, so we figured that was all she could get. Her belly was crammed full of the rancid meat and is why she was so lazy. It was an incredible experience we'll never forget, and I guarantee we will never be down there without a tag (or a rifle in camp! ) JIM>

BretsKitty.jpg

Very cool story Coose fan! What an experience!

:(

We glassed up a lion in 36B last year and glassed up 3 lions and a bobcat the year before in 36C. Its always a good idea to have a lion tag in the old wallet!!

Hey COOSEFAN that is a sweet picture!!

We glassed up a lion in 36B last year and glassed up 3 lions and a bobcat the year before in 36C. Its always a good idea to have a lion tag in the old wallet!!

Hey COOSEFAN that is a sweet picture!!

Excellent picture and background................. nice kitty too !

In Jan and Feb of this year I hunted the Rez side of the Babs with a tribal hunting party. There was so much lion sign in the canyon we were hunting it was impossiblee to walk down the washes without seeing tracks and scat. We asked the caretaker of the land about a particlarly large set( I'd never seen lion tracks this big) in the next canyon over to us. He response was, "No, no es leon, pero es un tigre!" For those that don't speak spanish he was reffering to Arizona's resident male jaguar. He said he moves in and out of the Babs and specialized in eating all the javelina that were there. This was a little nerve racking to know we were roaming the same hills, but it also got you kind of exhilarated to go into the scrub. The care taker also mentioned that the coyotes that brought illegals through the area were aware of the jaguar and religiously avoided the canyons that he haunts. So maybe we do need to bring back the jaguar to southern Arizona's border.

I Know this may be off topic, But I got drawn for whitetail late oct hunt in 36b and never hunted that unit before. I plan to do as much scouting as possible (and I will get a lion tag) but would hear about a few good spots to start. I HAVE NO MORE VENISON IN THE FREEZER. I'm starting to go through withdrawal.

Thank God Cabellas finally opened, They serve venison and elk.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lou

Being an avid hunter/guide on San Carlos, I can't tell how many times I've glassed up a "mountain tigger".

I took this lion at 416yds across a canyon bedded, 2 shots 2 hits. Thanxx to the USMC...mtnlionDewey.jpg