bowsniper

Scent Eliminator Sprays

I have been using Wildlife Research Scent Eliminator the past several years, but there are a bunch of new ones out there, and I'm thinking about changing.

Dead Down Wind is Enzyme based, and looks interesting. Then there's White Lightning, Code Blue EliminX, Hunter's Specialties, and a bunch more. What's your favorite?

bowsniper

I don't see how any of that stuff works. I personaly belive that it is impossilble to eliminate human scent. From your boots, hair, breath, oil on you gun, what if you sneeze or cough and cover your mouth, better spray some more on?.......even to the stuff you spray on I have a hard time beliving that it is totaly odorless

save your $$ and stay up downwind and they will never smell ya! :ph34r:

I think the best bang for your buck is the cover sents.

im sure it helps in some way...especially if you are using a treestand...thats when i think it would be helpful, but when you are still hunting, or spot and stalk...just get the wind in your face and you will be fine as jack said. I still buy a spray bottle of the hunter specialties scent killer, but i really dont know how well it works

Make sure you keep those sprays off your optics!... some will eat a nice lens coating into junk glass. I still use one from or another, even though animals smell in PARTS PER MILLION. :unsure: You will never get rid of human scent, but if it gives you an extra few minutes...or even seconds...that might make the difference.

I agree that the scent eliminator sprays do not eliminate scent 100% but I believe they help some so I use them. It may also help the hunter psychologically.

With regards to treestands, it is so important to spray your boot soles down good or wear plastic bags around your shoes. I have counted many times where a deer has been sniffing where I had been walking, do the snort wheeze blow and take off.

I agree with AZ GUIDE and Treestandman, I think cover-up scents are best and I also believe that the scent eliminator stuff works a little but mostly it builds confidence in the hunter, which is imperative to be successful! I personally use the "Moccassin Joe" cover-up scent and have had great results! The Hot Cow scent in the bright pink bottle is incredible when the bulls are rutting. We were waiting for a bull to expire that my bro-n-law had just shot, it stayed near us with the wind blowing to him so I dumped a bunch of the Hot Cow scent and had 3 larger bulls walk in down wind past the injured bull and to within 10 yrds of us as we layed on the ground! These three bulls were trailing that smell all the way in to us, one at a time within an hour, and we didn't have any scent eliminator stuff on, just the cover-up! JIM>

To eliminate 100% human order is impossible but to cover it up or mask it works, i have had deer and elk walk right up to me with in feet before doing the snort wease dance, my buddy has had a bull spike pee on his foot i wouldnt have believed it if i hadnt busted out laughing watching it happen :lol: (this was when there were animals in 23 (we had cow tags) :unsure: . the stories can go on 4ever so to be short and sweet they work with help from you and mother nature.

Eyeguards,

What do you like to use as a cover/mask scent? I have thought of using raccoon urine but have never actually tried it.

- ForkHorn

i get kinda of mental when it comes to ocer up, i wash my clothes in H.S scent laundry soap then when i dry i them i use the natural dirt dryer sheets from there i seal them in a vac-bag with scent waffer. i dont open them until i get out there. Let me also mention that camo pattern is just as important, u dont want the wrong kind for the terrain you are in or u will stand out like $2 hooker. these are no means "the way to go" this is just what works for me and everyone has thier own ways and success stories so try a few and use whats best for you. Scouting is a great way to try them out b4 the actual the hunt (so if u spook or they spot ya its not that depremental). Good luck

i do use the racoon the most but only on my boots.

If you are hunting in an area with elk I have a good way to cover your human scent. Last year a couple days before my elk hunt I washed all of my cloths in scent eliminator. I then through them in the dryer with a couple of those cow elk urine wafers. This will also get rid of your wife or get you kicked out of the house :D . After they were dry, I through them into a large ziplock bag with one of the wafers inside. During my hunt I had a herd of about 15 cows get downwind of me and never spooked. Throw a couple on your hat and belt loops. I am going to try it on my bear hunt next weekend and hang them on my Double Bull to cover my scent. David

Guest Ernesto C

Here is another thing we can or should do before going hunting:

At least one week before your first day in the field go to the area you are planning to hunt,dont need to go to your primary hunting spot,just to a general area close to it. Then cut branches from trees,cut some grass or any other vegetation of the area,put them inside a plastic bag along with your hunting clothes including your boots and you'll be ready.You'll be smelling 100% natural.

Dont have to thank me :D I love helping others :)

that's what i do ernesto c. my take on scent elimination is if i do everything i can do, i won't have any excuses when that big buck/bull winds me other than just plain luck.

Josh E. had a couple of them round scent things in his ground blinds at the Happy Jack shoot. They smelled pretty good and it worked for me.