Sign in to follow this  
Viper

My camera didn't make it....burned up.

I hiked in to the Mazatzal Mnts, in the Sunflower Fire burn area yeaterday to see if anything was left of my trail camera. About 8 miles round trip. Sadly, nothing was left of it but the security box and camera circuit board. The canyon the spring is in is about 98% burned. Here are a few pics of the area.

My "camera" on the tree:

post-2983-0-02022500-1353301714_thumb.jpg

Only thing left was the security box and camera circuit board:

post-2983-0-90024900-1353301862_thumb.jpg

Tall grass and new growth since the summer rains:

post-2983-0-00587800-1353301961_thumb.jpg

Water still flows in a creek bed...life will return:

post-2983-0-02097800-1353302034_thumb.jpg

That may just make that spot even better. The new growth should be a shot inb the arm for horn development. The burnt trees still give the deer a sense of security while making it easier to glass.

That may just make that spot even better. The new growth should be a shot inb the arm for horn development. The burnt trees still give the deer a sense of security while making it easier to glass.

That's what I'm thinking! :)

I guess it's better than having it stolen. Those coverts are good cameras...but not fireproof :( I was hoping the SD card survived so I could get some pics. It was amazing to see that the whole camera body melted and ran out the bottom holes of the metal box. It only left the circuit board and batteries in the box. At least the box is still usable. I still have one camera to play with.

I had a sweet bear canyon in Four Peaks that burned to a similar extent back in late 80's or early 90's. Only about 2% of canyon still held vegetation. I continued annual trips into the canyon to monitor regrowth and it took 12 years before the vegetation was thick enough and solidly reproducing to lure bear back into it. And bear have used it every year since then. It will be fun for you to make one trip a year into your spot and photograph and monitor the regrowth and the return of wildlife into the area.