lucky2hunt

Lessons Learned - Not all of 'em I like! Kaibab Buck

Great story,and a nice buck

What a fantastically honest and superb write up of your hunt and emotions. I know I have felt some of the very same at times but never could actually put them into words. I do get wrapped up in score and pursuing trophy animals knowing that it could mean tag soup which I am fine with on most hunts. Mostly because I don't want it to end too soon. Congratulations on a great buck, I love how tall he is and you should be very proud of him. Way to go!

Congratulations on the nice buck! Thanks for taking the time to write your story and sharing it and the pictures. All were very enjoyable. Kaibab is a beautiful place!!

I know I congratulated you on an earlier pm but never came here so I would like to say congrats again. I'm sure Roger got over it and completely understood considering how he knows your desire to hunt hard. That's a great buck and I would have shot him on opening day. Thanks for a great writeup. :)

• Like 1

Ilene,

That is a great buck, and don't let anyone tell you different. Kudos to you and Roger for getting it done.

PS: many of your feelings and comment were somewhat destined to be part of my sheep hunt tale ;)

Great story Ilene and congrats on your success! It's easy to get wrapped up in the pressure that typically comes with that tag, I've been there! I got very lucky when I had my late tag and fortunately fulfilled the expectations everyone had of me, I hated that pressure and felt it again this year on my muzzy hunt! All the hunts on the 'Bab were tough this year, it seemed as though mother nature was constantly working against everyone on all the Kaibab hunts, with crazy rains, crazy winds and just enough snow to scatter the deer from top to bottom! It's very easy to get wrapped up in the expectations of that tag, but as you found out, trying to meet the expectations of others takes all the fun out of it! The only expectations that count are the ones you set yourself. It's your tag, your hunt, and if you are happy with the pursuit and the animal you harvested, that's all that matters! You killed a nice buck on a tough hunt, my hats off to you! Congrats again! JIM>

Great write-up and congratulations!

Too many these days are focused on inches and too many are jaded by what is seen in magazines, websites and on TV. Lots of people are putting giant animals on the ground (some work their butts off for them, some pay for them and some just get lucky). All that matters at the end of the day, is that nothing was left in the field and that you as a hunter and outdoors person have harvested the ultimate goal...memories which bring a smile from ear to ear over and over again, a story or two to share with someone and that you absorbed every moment in mother natures paridise.