Sign in to follow this  
GreeneMachine

The Humbling Buck - Part 2

My hunt was an extension of what mklong40 already posted on this forum. He hit the nail on the head with describing our hunt...no bucks, tons of does, and tough weather.

I will take the blame for having the bivy camp idea. My "dream hunt" has always been to head off on foot in to wilderness country, not run in to another human, and walk back out 5 days later with meat and antlers on my back. I've hunted a lot of different species and in a number of different western states and that idea of a hunt is not as easy to accomplish as I originally thought. So with this tag in hand, I guess the idea of a bivy camp was too sexy to pass up even though we watched the weather forecast get nastier and nastier in the ten days leading up to our hunt. My two cents: just get a small two man backpacker tent instead of a bivy sack. The additional 3lbs is well worth it. The big disadvantages with a bivy sack is once your in it, you have to stay in it until it stops raining. And there's no room to keep your pack dry inside a bivy sack. And if it's not raining, well you really don't need the bivy sack anyways. So I'll never use one again...(especially one made by Outdoor Research..the thing leaked like a sreen door!).

Kind of a bummer that after 9 months of discussing this hunt nearly every other day, all the research and scouting, ALL the hikes up and down what seemed like every hill and mountain up there, and putting up with the weather....I took my buck on a day Matt couldn't be there and he took his on a day I wasn't there.

post-6254-0-02593800-1356971402_thumb.jpg

This was only one of two shooter bucks I saw in the 8 days I hunted. Took him at 300yds with my 300WSM. Third coues I've taken with a 180gr Accubond and I've had zero issue with meat loss, and every one was dead before they hit the ground.

Thanks to my wife for putting up with this crap and thanks to Matt for the help (I would have thanked you first if you were there to help on the 5 mile pack out!! jk)

• Like 1

I agree on the bivy especially when camping for long periods of time and the weather hits. Hard to sit up, cook, and stay sane in a bivy. The tent is worth it when the weather hits. Unit 33 is a unit I have wanted to do the same sort of hunt...backpack into areas where no humans have been in a while and enjoy the solitude. I constantly catch myself looking up at those mountains on my way to work or school and the planning churns through my head...

Congrats on getting out and doing it! Also, congrats on a great trophy that will constantly bring back the memories of the hunt!

Funny you said that azslim...I have a 6-man Kifaru that makes life in snow, wind, and rain a dream. I highly recommend their gear. American made, durable, and constructed with the backpack hunter in mind. Wish I knew how to post pics lol.

If anyone ever wants to check out Kifaru geaer in person, let me know and maybe we can set something up...we took out the tent and stove on Thursday and Friday for a one night camping trip and the weather turned to snow and my roommate's 6 year old son was toasty warm and happy through the entire time.

Awesome buck. I also know the way you did it and how you got it out was something you wanted to be able to say you did when your an old man. Good thing you got it out of the way now at 34 yrs old and not 64! Looking forward to getting back to 100" slope on a left over in 2013!

Awesome!! I enjoyed both your stories! I did a quick bivy overnight during my hunt this year and use a bivy sack when I know the weather will be stable. I have a small two person backpack tent for rougher weather.

I understand the benefits of a trailer :) but it is hard to pack a trailer on your back into wilderness areas! Different setup for those that want to get away from the roads and crowds yet still have the ability to sit out weather in a comfortable way, also helps to keep the morale up for those who aren't the die-hard hunters when the weather strikes.

Put it this way...my girlfriend's first camping experience was with me and we backpacked into the West Clear Creek Wilderness in December. After the first day, weather turned bad with snow and howling wind. However, with the tent and the stove, we were sitting inside drinking hot chocolate in 80 degree weather! Pretty sweet set-up. Without that tent, she may have never camped with me again. Luckily for me she continues to camp, backpack, and is turning into a hunter!

Way to persivere guys! And Wow!... that is a rad pay off for the effort too! Thanks for the advise on the bivy also!

Jimmy's trailer was warm, wind and water proof!

Lol! For those reading this post, Jimmy's my bro-in-law and we all had dec tags. Firstcoueswas80 helped them on their hunt, and the day after I sit in a wet bivy all night, I call jimmy and before I say a word, he says "I had the worst night last night, the wind was blowing against my warm, comfy trailer all night long" ....boo hoo you jack wagon! Lol.

I enjoyed both of your stories! Thanks for posting! I too dream of doing a backpack hunting trip!

Nice job on a nice buck. That weather was tough out there, way to stick with it and get it done.