Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

question for a 20% pass guru

does the bonus pass apply or is it rendered moot if there are only 1 or 2 permits for a hunt?

also is there a different standing in the bonus pass for 1st and 2nd choices? i thought 1st and 2nd were always taken as same.

according to azgfd i am in the top top 121 bp holders with 20 for this draw but can't travel.

http://www.azgfd.gov...ss by Genus.pdf

lee

First Pass (20% Bonus Point)

Twenty percent of authorized tags in each hunt for deer, antelope, elk, turkey and javelina may be issued in this pass. Twenty percent of the total authorized tags for both bighorn sheep and buffalo may be issued. Although twenty percent are available, nonresident caps are still in effect.

1. Each application is assigned the lowest random number from those generated for it.

2. The application file is then sorted by group bonus points in descending sequence within genus and then by random number within the bonus point groupings.

As each application is read,the first and then second hunt choices are checked to see if there are any permits available as part of the 20% bonus point allotment. If there are enough permits available for each applicant on the application without exceeding the 20% allotment or the nonresident cap, the permits are issued to that application. If not, the next application is read and the first and second hunt choices are checked until the entire application file is read. Any unissued permits from the "bonus point phase" will be returned to the available permits for each hunt. The Drawing will then continue to the next two passes.

Second Pass (1st and 2nd Hunt Choices)

3.For all applications which were unsuccessful in the bonus point phase, new random numbers are generated for each application, with the lowest random number being assigned to the application.

4. The application file is then sorted in random number sequence (with no regard to bonus points) within genus.

5. The first application (with the lowest random number) is read, checking the first and then the second hunt choices for available permits. If there are enough permits available for either of the choices, for each applicant on the application, without exceeding the nonresident cap when applicable, the permits are issued. The next application in random number sequence is then checked for available permits until the entire file is read.

Third Pass (3rd, 4th and 5th Hunt Choices)

6. For all applications which were unsuccessful with their first and second choices, new random numbers are generated for each application with the lowest random number being assigned to the application.

7. The application file is again sorted into random number sequence within genus.

8. Each application is then read checking the third, then the fourth and then the fifth hunt choices for available permits for all applicants on each application (without exceeding the nonresident cap). When permits are available for one of the three choices, they are issued to the application.

9. After the entire file has been read in the third pass, the tag issuance portion of the drawing has been completed. Applicants are then awarded an additional genus bonus point for each genus for which they were unsuccessful with a valid application. The genus bonus points for each successful applicant are then zeroed out for the genus for which they were issued a permit.

Leftover Permits

Any permits not issued in the above three passes are eligible for the first-come/first serve process. Applications are made by mail (or online, if available) and permits are issued to the first individuals who apply for these hunts. A successful applicant retains all previous bonus points.

And this...

D. The Department shall not make available more than one

hunt permit-tag or 10% of the total hunt permit-tags,

whichever is greater, for bighorn sheep or buffalo in any

draw to nonresidents. The Department shall not make

available more than 50% nor more than two bighorn

sheep or buffalo hunt permit-tags of the total in any hunt

number to nonresidents.

E. The Department shall not make available more than

10%, rounded down, of the total hunt permit-tags in

any hunt number to nonresidents for antelope, antlered

deer, bull elk, javelina, or turkey. If a hunt number for

antelope, antlered deer, bull elk, javelina or turkey has

ten hunt permit-tags or fewer, no more than one hunt

permit-tag will be made available to a nonresident,

except that if a hunt number has only one hunt permit tag,

that tag shall only be available to a resident.

F. Any cap established under this Section applies only to

hunt permit-tags issued by random drawing under subsections

©(2)(

B) and ©.

I am not the brightest stone in the pile but is this chart telling me that there are only 6 people with 21 pts?? Just wondering because that is what I have.

Dan, the date of the report is April 2012.

Are you including in your 21 the point you got for being unsuccessful in the 2012 draw? I would speculate they are not including those points in their report but merely reporting the results of the draw. If this is the case then you are one of the 113 that had 20 points and did not draw.

Thanks Sun Devil. You are right. I think I understand now. So I believe I am in the 121 folks left with 21 and above in Pts. I have 21 after last draw.

Does that mean that if there are 2 Antelope tags available, 1 of those tags goes to the %20 percent bonus point pool?

Adam

no, you need at least 5 tags for a hunt for the 20% to come into play.

5 * .2 = 1

They have pretty much got it outlined in the other posts but here is a weird one I'll share with you.

A few years back I had a friend from CA who told me he wanted to start applying for antelope. I told him to put in for points for a few years then give it a shot.

He said nope, I want to start now applying for a tag. He was a ML hunter so that year he applied for Unit 18A, which had 10 tags as his first choice..

Under the 10% rule than meant only one NR tag COULD be issued for that hunt.

Well it seems that the first two tags were issued to AZ residents under the 20% pass, and guess what? He got tag number 10 for that hunt! Unreal. But that's the beauty of the bonus point vs preference point system. This same kind of thing can happen again, but wow, not very often.

He was very,very lucky!

I use this example in my Hunter Education classes to show that a NR hunter can draw in some situations (not AZ Strip deer or early elk) draw a tag!.

Don Martin

Hunter Educatiom Instructor

Kingman