GRONG

Maybe I'll give it a try

I was thinking that if I can't find a good buck for my Oct tag I might just sit some of my treestands with my .357 and see if I can get a coues buck that way. I think it'd be pretty cool and seldom done.... handgunning a buck that is.

ive always wanted to do that...even maybe put a stalk on one then using the handgun...fun stuff...what kinda .357 u have?

It's a Ruger GP-100 with a 6" barrel. I'm guessing a buck better closer than 20 yards to have much effect on him. I probably won't end up doing it but I have thought a lot about it.

ive always wanted to do that...even maybe put a stalk on one then using the handgun...fun stuff...what kinda .357 u have?

Hey guys:

If you have something bigger than a .357 mag, I suggest you use it. Thompson Center, for example, makes barrels for a lot more efficient calibers for deer-size game.

I helped a friend track a mule deer shot with a .357 mag for more than a mile before we lost it. I've also been in on two sloppy kills where a .357 mag just wouldn't do a clean job on treed bears.

I can't hit the side of a barn consistently, even while standing inside it, with a pistol (although I used a .44 mag on my first bear) but if I were going after a deer with a handgun (God forbid) today I would not choose a .357 mag.

Look it up. Its ballistics aren't much better than a .30 M-1 carbine.

Bill Quimby :D

josh give it a try it adds a little bit of challenge....hey bill ii want to buy the Smith n Wesson .460....its a big revolver with a lot of range...my uncle just bought one its a nice gun

one time while i was guttin' a buck i shot, another one had been hiding in some oak brush about 30 yards away and finally had all he could take and busted out. he was a smallish 3x3. my uncle decided to try and shoot it with his .357. it stopped at about 80 yards. he thumped in the lungs. it went maybe 30 or 40 yards and fell over. he was using a model 27 smith with a 6" barrel. if you can hit one in a good place, it will kill a deer. Lark.

one time while i was guttin' a buck i shot, another one had been hiding in some oak brush about 30 yards away and finally had all he could take and busted out. he was a smallish 3x3. my uncle decided to try and shoot it with his .357. it stopped at about 80 yards. he thumped in the lungs. it went maybe 30 or 40 yards and fell over. he was using a model 27 smith with a 6" barrel. if you can hit one in a good place, it will kill a deer. Lark.

Hey Lark: Back in my college days in the 1950s, I watched someone shoot a forked-horn mule deer buck in the lungs with a .22 long rifle (No, the caliber was not legal. Yes, it was in season and he had a tag). It staggered around and dropped kicking before he could shoot it again. A .357 mag will kill a deer, and so will a .22 and a .30 M-1 carbine. You guys can use what you want, but I want a handgun that carries more energy out to 50 yards or so. :rolleyes:

Bill Quimby

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?P...ctCode=BFR45-70

Now if you can only get them to give you one of these to try out.

I would think from a treestand at 20 to 30 yards a 357 would be ok, further out or bad shot placement is where you would have problems, just my opinion.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?P...ctCode=BFR45-70

Now if you can only get them to give you one of these to try out.

I would think from a treestand at 20 to 30 yards a 357 would be ok, further out or bad shot placement is where you would have problems, just my opinion.

The bears I watched being plinked with .357s were up trees above us and mudh closer than 20 yards. I've forgotten how many shots it took to kill them, but I do remember both guys having to reload. I also remember that both bears bawled constantly after the first hits. Not all of their shots were poorly placed. When we skinned those bears we found very little flesh damage and extremely poor penetration. Sure, bears have much more hair, fat and tough muscle than a deer that a bullet must penetrate, but those experiences burned me on the .357 mag for hunting.

That .45/70 long-barreled handgun looks like it would do the trick, but seeing that it weighs less than 5 pounds would you mind if I asked you to hold it for me when I pull the trigger?

Bill Quimby

billrquimby, I have a quick question. I am using a Marlin 1894 .44 mag with 240 grain flat nose bullets on my bear hunt. I doubt the shot will be more than 30 yards with the type of terrain I am in. Do you think this is sufficient to kill a bear cleanly? I have other guns I could use, but I really wanted to shoot one with my lever action. I also have a model 336 in 30-30 that I can bring along. David

Hmmmmm....... I guess if I had a different pistol I'd use it but it's the only one I have. I watched TAM shoot his lion this year with his .44mag and it was effective, so maybe I'll try to find someone with a .44 that they'll lend me. I don't know anyone with a TC. Thanks for the advice though Bill.

I think it would be an awesome challenge to take the .357! If you kept the shot around 20 yrds, a .357 w/hot loads will have no problem deflating both airbags on a broadside Coues :huh: Best of luck to ya if you take it on! JIM>

Josh,

I have a .44 and you can use it all ya want it is Ruger Super Blackhawk , i also have a Savage Striker in the .270 WSM but it kicks like a mule. I also have about ten different barrels for my T/C and all you need to do is say which one you want to use. I like the 7/30 waters i have for the small deer. If you want to have a few extra rounds to let loose you can use my 10mm Glock!! LOL!!

David, that .44 will dump that bear man--use it!!