Sign in to follow this  
Joe Kauffman

Garrett's first archery buck!

Being a huge mule deer fan (and getting plenty of carp jokes from my friends down south :P), I love January with the family since we can chase pigs with a bow and have fun stalking bucks at the same time. This year my wife, son and I drew archery pig tags and spent a good amount of time fighting the cold, wind and thermal changes that busted a number of stalks when we were within 50 yards of filling our tags. The best thing about all the stalks we made was the experience my wife and son gained by really seeing how much importance there is in minding the wind direction. Now they understand when I make them hike 1/2 mile around the pigs when it would be easier to go directly at them :).

This past weekend my son, brother, nephew and I went out for one more opportunity to fill our pig tags and spent most of the morning stalking a couple of herds which ended in a 30 yard shot for my nephew who might have been a little too excited and shot just left of a large sow. After a regroup and lunch we decided to break up and check some spots a few mountains apart in hopes of upping our odds in getting the boys another stalk or 2 before dark.

After watching some coyotes, does and smaller bucks we spotted a coues-ish looking 6x4 mulie buck we had seen the weekend before but couldn't get a stalk on. My son knew that if he was to shoot a buck now he'd be done for the year but told me being able to glass and scout for the rest of the family would be just as fun so we headed out to see if we could close the gap on the buck and get my son a shot. Keeping the wind in mind, we almost ran 1/2 mile to get around and in front of the buck and 3 does, hoping we were in the path they would take to the usual bedding grounds.

We setup behind a large boulder and watched the group continue up the drainage, slowly feeding their way right towards us. I had ranged the next ridge at 30 yards and knew if they didn't wind us that my son would have no problem making a shot under 30 yards. After about 15 minutes the group of deer made their way up to where we were waiting and the buck presented a broadside 27 yard shot for my son. He made a nice clean kill and dropped the buck where he stood.

Not the best picture but I will get some more loaded and add a few later tonight. Once again, nice work buddy! Had a blast being with you on your first archery deer kill!

post-1236-0-00874400-1358874898_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great stalk and wait letting them get that close. Unique rack like to see those other pics.

Congrats on a great archery buck let alone his first buckwith a bow!!! Great write up, that's exactly what it's all about, good times and hunting with family and friends!!!

That is one nice looking buck and a great picture of Garrett with his first archery buck. Congratulations Garrett. You are hooked now for life. Can't wait to see what's next for ya. I bet papa is a proud one. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ