Sign in to follow this  
cramerhunts

Sonora 2012-2013

Well the 2012-2013 Deer Season in Sonora came and went without so much of a round being chambered......at least for me. Most would consider this to mean that I was unsuccessful yet I don't quite see it that way. I hunted hard, passed up a lot of bucks, made new friends, and best of all made great memories. Of course I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in not wrapping my tag around a trophy buck's antlers but that is part of hunting (at least trophy hunting) :) . I hunted this year with Temo Paz (owner of El Trofeo Outfitters) and I can tell you he works his rear off to offer high quality ranches and has his hunter's interests at the fore front of everything he does. Anyone would do very good with Temo on anything in Sonora. My hunting partner Chef was on the journey along with good Friends Ernesto and AZbowhntr (Orlin). I was introduced to several more members who I am now pleased to call my friends as well. Four bucks were taken in camp and one was a super cool 4x4 but I'll let them share those with you. Temo and the ranch owners are doing all the right things with controlling predators, offering mineral supplements, planting a couple food plots, and setting trail cams to see what is roaming the hills. The food was great, nice accommodations, and very knowledgeable hard working guides that are truly salt of the earth people.

post-216-0-31621800-1359332234_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-77792500-1359332554_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-66519600-1359332830_thumb.jpg

Some pictures of the scenery of where we were hunting.

post-216-0-09908200-1359333251_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-96742600-1359333811_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-39592800-1359334353_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-82411100-1359334737_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-85092400-1359335335_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-30588100-1359335928_thumb.jpg

And last but not least here are a couple short clips of a really cool buck that Chef and I passed up at 504 yards and then again at 183 yards. The buck has about a 95" main frame with a 9" extra that comes off just above his left base and hooks out and up and is bladed as well. We could tell he was a young buck with huge potential!

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/cramerhunts/Mexico%202013%20Coues%20Hunt/?action=view&current=20130113150702.mp4

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/cramerhunts/Mexico%202013%20Coues%20Hunt/?action=view&current=20130113152926.mp4

I'm not sure where I'll be hunting yet next year but rest assured it will be somewhere in Mexico!! I can't wait already!

Very nice pics. of some awesome looking country. Kudos for sticking to your goals and not settling for a buck that you would not be thrilled with. I think it's great that you passed on the buck in the video in hopes that he would reach his full potential. Even if you never find him again it will add to the intrigue of your hunts knowing that he is still out there and wondering what he might look like.

Nice write up Phil. It was definitely a tougher hunt than last year. We decided to go a week earlier this year and it may have had something to do with the lack of bigger bucks since there was very little rutting until the very last day or so. We still passed up a lot of bucks that we would have shot on a hunt here in the states. I even had my rifle out of the pack once before deciding to hold off and wait. I don't have any regrets and had a great time. And we hunted hard for the whole week. I made a comment to Chef the other day about not seeing the camp during the day. We got there late at night and was up and gone hunting before light every day and back after dark every night. And we left to come home early the day after the hunt. Great times and memories for sure.

Yes excellent write up Phil. This is the first time I see that video. I admired you and Hector before but now I do admire and respect you guys even more. I dont know if I'll be able to pass on the bucks you two passed on.

It was a very tough hunt! 2 1/2 days of very strong winds. Freezing temperatures that we were not able to drink water till late :). and to make matters worst...no rut at all. But we still gave our best and we enjoyed! We laughed at the camp fire. We had a great time all day long! It's nice to hunt with guys that LOVE hunting and enjoy every minute of it :)

It was at least for me a good learning experience and Im glad that even we did not bring the monster bucks we were looking for I learned that even in Mexico there are no guarantees specially if we are trophy hunting! This hunt reminded me that Coues deer hunting is tough and that we will not find a 120" buck on every tree :) Oh boy but we have fun looking for one...still memorable and exciting hunt!

Ernesto C

Like you said Phil, it is never a disappointment when you get to experience good friends and the surrounding country, not to mention nice bucks.

you will get em next year !!

thanks for the pics and story

Right on guys!

Yeah, it was a tough but rewarding hunt. We hunted HARD for five straight!

So much so, that I've never felt so exhausted mentally after a hunt.

We dug deep, and then dug deeper, glassing persistently along the way.

Everything cooperated except for the monster bucks! :P

The ranch was so "couesy" it was ridiculous! Phil, you said it right when stating

that Temo is on the right game plan for the ranch. I am excited to see what come

out of those hills in the next few years.

Good times, great friends, sweet memories. Mexico is where it's at.

post-67-0-18598800-1359427522_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-93727800-1359427531_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-86295400-1359427597_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-20292000-1359427643_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-06023800-1359427606_thumb.jpg

Always look forward to reading your stories and getting to see all the pictures of your hunts. Even though you guys didnt find what you were looking for it sounds like it was a good time with friends.

Sounds like you guys had an awesome time. Being outdoors with great friends and family is what it's all about.