Sign in to follow this  
nlacost

Rock River Dogs

Decided to scout for javelina and throughout my adventure decided to call a little bit...called in 5 dogs only bagged these 2...great day out though and had great weather...the .308 Rock River did its job..cant wait to get a scope on it!!

post-3204-0-14731200-1359388862.jpg

post-3204-0-37635400-1359388889_thumb.jpg

Yep,used the government caller and the catnip...I forgot my Carver so I had to make do,haha.....

Cool song dogs! How close did you shot them at? Open sight shooting is a lost art!

Average is about 50-60 yards but running...I have to shoot sights for now until I get my Vortex 1-4x........

Definitely very cool. I shot one earlier in the month also with an AR, hand calls and open sights. First stand of the morning almost 15 minutes into calling.

It was the first shot out of a new rifle and now I know I at least need a brighter front sight as it was first light and cloudy. Scope is on the list of things to get.

After calling with hand calls for 25 years I just can't bring myself to get an electronic caller.

Not to ruffle feather but PRDATR,my buddy and I did an experiment...he had very expensive electronic callers,FoxPro,and others...thousands of dollars in callers,anyway- he sold them all because we kept track of how many we killed with hand calls versus electronic...hand calls were almost 7-1 ratio more kills.....I have been a hand caller forever...not saying its not a bad idea to have an electronic call,just the proof has been in my experience that the versatility of open/closed reeds cant be duplicated by something that everyone downloads the same sounds to...Now the guys that use e-calls dont beat me up too bad..they have their place and yes they work..out here when the pressure gets to them they are tougher with those calls..just my observation...

That's a big ratio. There is just something gratifying for me in calling them in with a hand call. I was a member for both Phoenix and Mesa Varmint Callers back in the 80' and 90's when the Circe calls were about all there were with the exception of the Talley Ho.

I guess what ever works for each hunter. I saw a show where the guys use electronic calls and sit out in the open and still get dogs to come in. Some are a lot more wary like the one that came in earlier this month. He just poked his head up over a small rise before ducking back in and slowly circleing around trying to get a good look.

I like the soft rubber calls made by Sceery and have one that is probably five years old and still has the same reed.

Like I said,wasnt trying to start anything,the electronics work too...I still love the Tallyho its one of my favorites besides the Carver...I need to get a new Tallyho...thanks for reminding me of that great call...Good Luck and be safe out there...

• Like 1

Nate,

Hand calls are definitely the most rewarding but dude you have got to stop spreading rumors.... The Tally Ho doesn't work in Arizona!!!

Wouldnt want anybody to waste their 6-8 bucks and add any more of them to the hills.

You can get replacements reeds for them if yours is worn out. I think they come 2 to a pack.

Cowman- I stand corrected...you are absolutely right...I like the Primos or whatever is on the shelf at Cabelas or Bass Pro..thats what I meant.. :rolleyes: