Sam

Very Curious....how many tags

This is a cool thread. My 1st elk tag was in 1976, September Archery, unit 1, 27, 2, 3a,3b,4a, 4b. Either sex (I think). 600 tags and after the draw there were usually leftovers. Seems like it went that way for a few years and then the hunts went to individual units. Archery elk rapidly gained popularity and soon tags were not so easy to draw. Ahhh the good old days.

1996 - Early Rifle Cow 5A Red Hill

1997 - Early Rifle Cow 5A Blue Ridge (First Big Game Animal)

1999 - Archery Cow 3C

2000 - Archery Cow 5A

2001 - Limited Opp. Rifle Cow East/West Sunset Mountain

2004 - Late Rifle Bull 5A

Love hunting 5A but I haven't applied there since the 04 hunt. Maybe I will get back up there this year.

I enjoyed many hunts in 5A when there were less than 100 bull tags allocated for the unit. Used hunt both deer and elk there all the time. Seems like someone in the family always had a tag. My last bull hunt there had about 300 tags. Sadly the unit was not the same and I strongly believe that both the quality of the hunt and the quality of the bulls have suffered since the permit numbers have tripled. Not sure if I will go back.......

• Like 1

This is a cool thread. My 1st elk tag was in 1976, September Archery, unit 1, 27, 2, 3a,3b,4a, 4b. Either sex (I think). 600 tags and after the draw there were usually leftovers. Seems like it went that way for a few years and then the hunts went to individual units. Archery elk rapidly gained popularity and soon tags were not so easy to draw. Ahhh the good old days.

If I remember right, in the early 80s it was possible to buy an over the counter elk tag for many units. I did it for Unit 8 and it was an any tag.....I forgot about that.

I've been putting in since 2000.

2003 archery bull

2009 archery bull

2013 archery bull

no antelope tags

2005 no tag

2006 no tag

2007 no tag

2008 no tag

2009 no tag

2010 no tag

2011 no tag