Sam

Very Curious....how many tags

This is interesting. Looks like alot of you guys have done pretty well with the draw. Seems to me like the key to enjoying life and hunting is a balance - put in for a premium or more desirable tag as 1st choice and then put in for an easier draw for 2nd choice. I used to always put in for quality bull hunts, not anymore. I want to hunt and enjoy time in the woods with my family......

That's exactly what I am seeing. Seems that the people that want to hunt, be it cow or bull, are doing just that. The ones that prefer just trophy premium hunts are collecting bonus points. To each his own. I have never put in for a cow hunt but I think I will be adding cow hunts to my app next year. Shot enough bulls, nothing big, but just want a tag.

I've never applied for premium hunts, I would rather go hunting than collect points. I've been drawn 3 of the 4 years I've applied for Elk. With the hunts I will apply for in the future, I'm expecting a tag every 2-3 years. But I'll never be in a unit where I would expect to see a 380"+ Bull.

2010- Not drawn

2011- 7E Early Archery Cow

2012- 4B Early Archery Cow

2013- 7E Early Archery Bull

I don't recall all the specific years, besides the more recent.

Early 90's: Two rifle cow, both successful

1995: Sept. archery bull, 5B-S, not successful (didn't know what I was doing)

2001: Sept. archery bull, 5B-S, successful (learned a bunch from camera hunts)

2002 - 2010: four archery cow tags, three successful (was putting in for 1st choice bull, 2nd/3rd choice cow)

2011: Sept. archery bull, 4B, not successful...got picky hunting a couple big bulls and passed on smaller ones (higher draw odds than 5B-S. First time my partner and I put in on seperate apps, and I got drawn)

2013: Nov. archery bull, 22-S, 2nd choice (first archery tag out of the rut. Played the draw odds and got a tag...tough hunt...we'll see how it goes)

If you want to hold out for good bull tags, you won't draw often. Even cow tags are getting hard to get. For a while I put in for 1st choice bull, 2nd/3rd choice cow and got cow tags. I then decided I only wanted a bull tag and drew once in an unfamiliar area. This year I decided I just want a tag, so I put in for 1st choice bull 5B-S, 2nd choice Nov bull 22-S...got it. At least I got a tag.

I started applying for elk in 1967 in AZ and have draw 11 late bull or either sex rifle and 8 archery early bull or either sex tags. Seems like lots of tags, but that is over 45 years. In the past 20 years I have also drawn 2 bull and 14 cow tags between NM and CO. At first I turned up my nose at going out of state to hunt cow elk. But the question is do you want to hunt or just talk about it? Cows are fun to hunt and how many elk racks does one need?

• Like 1

Since 2002

2002-archery bull elk

2002-archery antelope

2003-late cow

2005-archery bull

2006-archery bull

2008-archery antelope

2009-archery bull

2012-early rifle bull

I started applying at the age of 16 in 2005...

2005 - Early Archery Cow 4A - Successfull

2007 - Early Archery Cow 4A - Never recovered her

2008 & 2009 - Spent 2 years outside the country did not get to put in.

2010 - Late Archery Bull 4A - Not Successful

2011 - Early Archery Bull 4A - Successful

2012 - Early Archery Bull 4A - Successful

Its pretty obvious that I don't put in for premier units but that's allowed me to go hunting more than the norm. For me just being able to spend time in the woods with family and chasing elk making memories with my brother is the biggest trophy in my eyes. Whether we go home with meat or empty handed every trip for us is a success. I have been really fortunate to have been drawn 5 times out of 7 years that i have applied. Once again it all depends where you wanna hunt too, 4A is no premier unit with trophy bulls running around but it sure allows me to hunt every few years or even get lucky back to back years. Happy hunting to everyone who got drawn this year.

2003 - November Coues. Nice 3pt.

2004 - December Coues. No joy.

2005 - Late Rifle Bull 7W. No joy due to drought.

2008 - Late Rifle Bull 10. Shot 421 opening morning.

2010 - Late Rifle Bull 10. Missed my shot, my fault

2011 - Antelope rifle 19A. Took an 80 0/8. Yes, I did draw both tags in 2011, only 6 Antelope points

2011 - Late Rifle Bull 10. Took a 350+

2012 - No joy, so went October Bear hunting and got a nice boar.

2013 - No joy.

Since 1996:

2 rifle cow tags (6A and 1) both filled

4 late rifle 22N bull tags all four tags filled

no antelope tags, but hopefully getting close

First applied in 1989

1991 unit 1 archery bull tag

1994 unit 1 archery bull tag

2003 unit 1 archery bull tag

2010 unit 1 archery bull tag.... sponged off my brothers points and we had 26 between us

22 antelope bonus points.... never been drawn

I have never missed a year applying.

Since 1998,

2- Unit 7 late rifle bull

1- 4a archery rut Bull

1-7w archery rut bull

1-7e archery rut bull

2-19a archery antelope tags since 2002

Since 1998

1- 24a dec. rifle WT hunt

1- 12aw late rifle deer hunt.

Hmmm seems deer tags are harder to get than elk and antelope tags.

Years ago I would put Bull first choice and all cow after that. Drew probably 6 cow tags in a row. Have buddies that still do it every year and get tags. Stoped doing it cuz I wanted a bull tag and it took me 6 years to draw (2010). Didn't shoot a bull that year so I went all bull again and drew this year.

These guys can hunt almost every year if they want but it's all in the tags they are putting in for. I know some guys that would be up set!! If they dropped the bp system cuz they have collected a ton of them! lol

Been putting in since 1988.

1990 Archery any elk NM

1993 Archery Bull Az

1995 Archery cow Az

1997 Archery Bull Az

2001 Archery Bull Az

2006 Archery Bull Az

2006 Archery Bull Nm

2010 Archery Bull Az

2011 Archery Bull Az

2013 Archery Bull Az

So since 1988 I've had 7 Az archery bull tags, one archery cow and two NM archery tags. Never put in for a rifle tag. So 25 years and 8 Az tags, seems like a lot but of course would rather go every year. :-)

I've been putting in for 10 years and I've drawn one tag, archery bull in 4B. In that same amount of time, I've had two buddies from Cali pull 3 archery bull tags....

1996 - Early Rifle Cow 5A Red Hill

1997 - Early Rifle Cow 5A Blue Ridge (First Big Game Animal)

1999 - Archery Cow 3C

2000 - Archery Cow 5A

2001 - Limited Opp. Rifle Cow East/West Sunset Mountain

2004 - Late Rifle Bull 5A

Love hunting 5A but I haven't applied there since the 04 hunt. Maybe I will get back up there this year.