AZ RANGER

who hunts with ballistic tip ammo?

1gotaway- the 140 in a 270 should do fine. If it's in a 7mm, I'd choose the 160gr over the 140 for more energy on the elk. The Accubonds have been giving expansion and penetration almost similar to the Partition, from the test reports I've seen.

My friend shot a Mulie with a .270 130 grain ballistic tip at a little less than a 100 yards in the shoulder. A piece of hide the size of a dinner plate sailed straight up in the air about 15 feet. I saw it or I wouldn't have believed it.

The deer didn't even stumble and took off running. we watched him go over the next ridge about a quarter mile away, still running strong. There was no blood at the site. Just the piece of hide. We followed the tracks to where we saw him run over the next ridge. No blood anywhere. Guess the bullet hit the bone and just disintegrated right there. Wierd.

This is a 270 140gr Nosler Accubond bullet I recovered from my coues last year. I reload my own bullets and this one is very accurate. Not real sure how but this was a quartering away shot down hill at about 100 yards and the bullet traveled up the neck just under the skin and was recovered behind the right ear! :o Dropped in his tracks. :D

post-1013-1158116397_thumb.jpg

One thing abt BT's on Coues, you don't want to go light for caliber, like the 125's out of a 30-06. I also made the mistake of shooting an Antelope with 120 BT's out of my 7WSM @ 300 yrds. Blew up on his shoulder but hurt him bad enough he layed down under a tree and could'nt get up. I believe as long as you stay med or heavy for caliber, they're ok on Coues or Antelope size game w/ BT's. M.

On the flip-side, a buddy of mine shot a coues quartering away with a Nosler Partition. The bullet entered behind the ribs and exited the opposite shoulder - niether wound was obious until we skinned the deer. He only went about 30 yards after the hit, but didn't bleed a drop before he fell. From what I can tell, the bullet didn't expand at all. He and I have both been using ballistic tips for coues ever since.

Now that you mention it my friend killed an old 84'' buck a few years back and his shot blew a 6'' section of hide off his side. Another interesting note about that buck is we found a .22 cal. bullet in him. By the way my friend was shooting a 300wby. mag. w/150gr. ballistic tips.

I sent this partition through the last rib of a quartering away coues buck last year. Found it lodged under the hide after it broke through the far shoulder. The bullet performed the way it was designed to. However, even after that hit, I had to shoot the buck again. I think the BT is your ideal bullet for coues deer hunting. Since then, I've gone to BT's and am very pleased with their accuracy. I've taken a couple of deer with BT's in the past but not with this caliber. We'll find out come October. I understand it's all about shot placement but we don't live in a perfect world and it's nice to have the advantage of a BT.

post-500-1158184553.jpg

My experience with the Silver Balistic Tip 130gr factory loads from a 270 are as follows: Excellent grouping at the range. I was able to thumb nail 4 shots sighting in at 100 yards. I used the ammo on a whitetail last year (156 yard shot) and the bullet went clean through the deer and did not leave much of a blood trail to follow. The deer only went about 10 yards from where I shot it but I do like a blood trail just in case i'm a little off on my shot. No experience on bone fragmentation due to impact of bullet. Overall, I did like the grouping but I will probably go back to a core-lokt. Hope this helps with your decision.

Good Hunting