Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Spilled Milk from the Heavens

Conditions Friday invoked a night-time photo visit to Sedona as the forecast was for clear skies, no moon, and the Milky Way to sweep across the southeastern sky. Unfortunately, we're a little too far south for the aurora, but we do get the glow of light pollution from Phoenix 100 miles away :grin: . Taken at 3 AM.

Ed800CathedrMW3-13-13_0092_zpsd66c3ddf.j

Earlier that evening, there were some turbulent clouds overhead.

Ed800CathedrMW3-13-13_0003_zps718605b1.j

These clouds made for an interesting sky above iconic Cathedral Rock. (The clouds must have spawned a powerful tornado, as a few houses were cy-cloned right out of these images ;) )

Ed800ClonedCathedrMW3-13-13_zps626358f3.

Ed800CathedrMW3-13-13_0025_zps0a8d586e.j

There was a gap between the clouds and earth on the western horizon. It allowed a nice red light to cast upon Cathedral, but unfortunately the light did not catch the clouds above.

Ed800CathedrMW3-13-13_0070_zps8e2bcfa5.j

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Awesome pics. nice job

Beautiful pictures. That night shot is stunning. Born and raised in northern Arizona, of the many things I miss about home, the dark skies is near the top of my list. Instead of a billion glittering stars, I'm drowned in the constant yellow glow of man made light. I can no longer enjoy those dark nights. When I head north to hunt, fish or camp I spend many nights just looking up! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome Doug as usual! The night shot is one I really like a lot.

TJ

Thanks for the comments. I did not draw an elk tag, so you'll be stuck looking at more landscape photos this year as I stalk the mighty elusive rock ;)