COUESAZ

Cleaning binos

What do you all use for cleaning the glass off from dust and water spots.

I use wet lens wipes. I forgot where I bought them but I am sure any place where binos are sold they will sell them also.

I usually dunk them in warm soapy water when I get a chance... That is what Leica recommeds... if I am in the field I do the best I can but I don't use a lens pen.... Those can scratch the coatings..

jason

What do you all use for cleaning the glass off from dust and water spots.

You know I was going to ask the same question. What is the best way to clean a lens? I have the soft cloth that came with my leupold scope a bottle of zeiss lens cleaner, and a lens pen. I havn't used anything on my new binos cuz there is now sweat and dust caked on them......What should I do with them?

every time I come home from a hunt or scouting trip I run my binos under the sink and rinse them off really good. While in the field bottled water will do the same thing. After they dry lens wipes and a lens rag will take care of the water spots. NEVER WIPE THE LENSES OFF BEFORE RINSING OR BLOWING THEM OFF FIRST! Camera shops sell a lens pen with a blower on the opposite end to blow the dust off the lens first. Lens pens are ok as long as you use them as a second stage but they need to be replaced after a while because they hold the dirt they collect from the lenses in them.

Never use anything that has alcohol in it, trust me from experience it take the protective film off of the lense, you can actually look at the end of the binos and see the difference in the two lenses and notice it when looking toward the sun. And the bad thing is. The pads were made for optical lenses and I won't say the brand name thats on the packet.

...and I won't say the brand name thats on the packet.

Why, so the rest of us can ruin our glass too?

:D

YEs let us know so we do not ruin our binos as well. It is not bad mouthing when you are trying to help people out for the right reasons.

I use PENTAX lens cleaning kits it comes with a soft brush,wipes and a blower. works great (so far)

it's not the Ziess wipes is it????????

PLEASE DO TELL!!

:ph34r:

Here is a quote from my Leupy manual on how to clean your lenses:

"Leupold scope lenses are coated to reduce light reflections and light scattering thus increasing light transmission through the scope. They should be cleaned as carefully as you would a camera lens. Begin by using a lens brush to remove dust and then pure alcohol, high-grade glass cleaner, or pure water on a cotton swab."

From the Kodak website:

"Don't use eyeglass tissues to clean a camera lens. Eyeglass tissues contain a chemical that can ruin the special coatings on a camera lens." (I wonder what the harmful chemicals are?)

I usually brush off the dust with the hair brush end of the Lenspen (a small can of compressed air works also) and then wet a piece of lens tissue with camera lens cleaning fluid, and rub gently in a circular motion. I have read where a microfiber clothe is better than lens tissue, so will give it a try.

I don't use the pad end of a Lenspen, or a shirt-tail (cringe) as they may have small imbedded grit.

Doug~RR

I agree with Doug about the compressed air in a can (thats what I use at home.) I use the Crooked Horn Outfitters " Spudz" Lens Cloth & it works great as long as it is somewhat clean and you have blown the dust off of your glass. I use the Lens Pen for dust removal in the field. Just rmember when cleaning off dust/ debris hold the lens end down & let gravity do some work too.

Travis/Prohunt