Sign in to follow this  
ZBAR

23/27 Dec Muley hunts

I was surprised to see the success rates on these hunts, especially for unit 27. It was 12%. That's low! Unit 23 was 60% which is good, but I thought it would be higher.

I had the 23 late tag & killed a nice buck towards the end of the hunt but my brother never filled his tag. It was a lot tougher than I anticipated.

post-2674-0-59122300-1367424999.jpg

I was surprised to see the success rates on these hunts, especially for unit 27. It was 12%. That's low! Unit 23 was 60% which is good, but I thought it would be higher.

I had the 23 late tag & killed a nice buck towards the end of the hunt but my brother never filled his tag. It was a lot tougher than I anticipated.

Agree. I was really surprised on that unit 27, 12% success. I thought it would be in the 50% range, at least?

I don't see how ANY published success rates are accurate with the current system.

On the bright side, no more archery deer reporting!! We're moving forward...

with only 25 tags it only takes a 2-3 people not reporting their success to throw the % WAY off. I would not put too much into the published rates

• Like 1

I would say they're pretty accurate. There were only 25 tags in unit 27, so even if 2-3 people didn't return their surveys (assuming those people filled their tags) the success rate would still be low for a rut hunt. Honestly, the G&F has made it incredibly easy to report harvest results.

Unit 27 with a 12% success rate on a rut hunt is pretty surprising. If all hunters reported their success only three hunters were successful, sounds like a tough hunt!

Unit 27 in december the deer move quite a bit form my experience so even if you fond them scouting or durring archery in aug they won't be there later on.. I have a photo of a buck I saw and then got another one of the same animal 9 miles away later in the year

Unit 27 in december the deer move quite a bit form my experience so even if you fond them scouting or durring archery in aug they won't be there later on.. I have a photo of a buck I saw and then got another one of the same animal 9 miles away later in the year

I can certainly believe that. I have seen bucks earlier in the year, that were nowhere to be found during the late archery hunt.

stastically speaking, in order to achieve a 95% confidence level with a +/- 5% confidence interval, 24 hunters out of 25 would need to report their harvest information. whereas with a hunt that offers 800 tags, only 260 would need to report. was the game and fish following up with all 25 hunters to get their harvest info? if not, I doubt they had 24 hunters report. pretty much same holds for other dec hunts that only offer 40 - 50 tags. I have been saying for years they need to make reporting mandatory like other states do but apparently they either have some statisticians with PhDs working for them or they are comfortable reporting funny numbers that really do not mean anything at all.