scoutm

Best Coues Caliber

Best Coues Caliber  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best caliber For Coues Deer Hunting?

• 243 Win / 6mm Rem
    • 270 Win
    • 270 WSM
    • 280 Rem
    • 7mm WSM / 7mm Rem
    • 300 Win Mag / WSM / Rem Ultra
    • Other

I entered my caliber of preference but it is important to mention that shot selection and placement are by far more important than caliber. I have an uncle who hunts mule deer with a 22-250. There are also many people who hunt elk with 270s. Clearly a 243 is fine for coues as long as you are not trying to take a 500 yard shot. If you are going to be taking 500 yard shots you probably need a magnum but if you cant hit a barn door at 500 yards you shouldn't be shooting that far and then would not have a need for a magnum. I have a buddy that took a coues at 425 yards with a 25-06. Nothing at all wrong with it because he knows his weapon and it's capabilities. CB

257 Weatherby, 25 WSM, 6.5 WSM, 7 STW, 7 RUM ???

Whatever cartridge each person can shoot comfortably and accurately within their own deadly range gets my vote. All mentioned will do the job at ranges beyond most shooters' capabilities. (except maybe my 218 Bee)

RR

I couldn't agree with you more...it's all about shot placement!!! I have hunting buddies that I hate to see them shoot at game outside 200yrds because it's 50/50 as to whether they will hit the kill zone and then other that I have complete confidence in shooting out beyond 400yrds. I must admit though everytime I read about these 450+ yrd shots I alway wonder how much effort was put into closing the distance. I take much more satisfaction out of closing the distance and getting that 200 yrd shot than I ever would by making a 400 yrd shot for a kill.

Of course I chose "other". As my favorite all around caliber , most definetly without argument the best, The tried , true, & tested 30-06 was left out of the poll. B)

Guest Ernesto C

25-06. 257 Wby Mag. 270. 308 and 30-06 and at nigth..........12 gauge 3 1/2 inch Magnum doublo 00 buck shot :P

Guest Ernesto C
Of course I chose "other". As my favorite all around caliber , most definetly without argument the best, The tried , true, & tested 30-06 was left out of the poll. B)

Totally agree, the that pool is incomplete with the venerable 30-06, the best caliber ever.

Ernesto C

Aim for the vitals

Sorry for leaving the tried and true 30-06 out but in all my reading in this forum I very seldom have read about that caliber so I did not select it as a choice. I do question however the choice given the faster and flatter choices.

How could you leave off the trusty old 25-06? Maybe the best coues gun around, unless you're an artillery guy like me shooting the big 3's.

I didn't leave off the 25-06, I forgot it and when I remembered it was too late I couldn't make the change to the pool options. I have shot my 25-06 for lopes never deer but I know it would work great. I like with 115 grain BT.

I have killed all my Deer with a 25-06 and a 243. Love them both. They have both made 400+ yard shots for me as well as some very close shots.

i put most of my coues down with a 30-06.the ballistics on a '06 will be as good as any other medium class caliber.what do you think all the 270,25-06,280 calibers are based on.they all were derived from the '06. i agree with you scout'm about gettin closer to shoot a deer.i believe it puts a lot more fun into hunting by getting closer to an animal before shooting it.

I have a Sako 300 Mag that I have used on everything from Prarie dogs in NM to Moose and Caibou in Alaska... I trust it... that is all that matters.

Jason