archerman

36C Oct. Questions

Coues......I am considering putting me, my 13 Yr. old daughter (aka Annie Oakley), and 2 new hunters I am introducing to the sport in for this hunt. Seems to have a good amount of deer there from what I have read on the AZG&F site. It would of course be a new unit for me. I really want to let her see that in some places, you can see bucks every day.....not just on the last day of a week long hunt! :) With that said...has anyone hunted this unit in Oct. and how did you like it? Is it oaks/grassy or just straight up Sonoran Desert? Did you see plenty of deer? Very important...how is the access? And most important....any issue with where it's located? I am very careful and very watchful and can to a decent job of taking care of myself and my daughter, just curious if there are any specifics I should worry about/look for? I very much appreciate any info.

I hunt that unit a pretty good amount and helped others on a few different hunts last year.

The October hunt is warm to say the least. Terrain varies from decently rugged mountains, rolling hills, to large flats. Deer numbers are ok but it isn't a guarantee you will see multiple bucks in a day.

Amanda and Young Guns do a women's hunting camp in those units. I have heard it is a great time and you get the benefit of camping with others.

Let me know if you need more info.

I have been in your situations several times. Introducing new hunters, kids and some not so young to the sport. Also taking my daughter for the last 3 years. You want to make sure they have a great hunting experience and enjoy and love the sport and the outdoors for many years to come.

So my suggestion to you is to take them to a different unit, a unit with higher deer numbers. 36C is a good unit but very tough and physical demanding and doesn't have the deer numbers that others units have.

You want your daughter to be able to glass deer on her own and the same for the other new hunters. The more deer they see the more excited will be for them.

Some times in 36C you can spend a whole day with out seeing a deer and that's even more true if you aren't familiar with that unit. If you decide to hunt this unit I also suggest you do lots of scouting to make it fun and enjoyable for all of you.

Good luck and see you there.... ;) thanks.

Ernesto C

Sorry to say but Ernesto is right.... C is not what it used to be...You can and will go days without seeing deer much less Bucks.

on that hunt it is guaranteed to be hot. the mtns are steep and the cactus are thick. go with a later hunt in a unit that is higher in elevation.

in october is warm, also you have to think that the gates are locked and the only way in to prime coues country is by foot, that is another think to think about if you shoot a back a couple of miles in.

i will put for 36b or 33.

I have not seen the regs yet but a buddy of mine had the dec. hunt in C and did not see a lot of bucks. You have been to the junior camps before, get with me and I will pair you up with some guides who know either B or A to make sure the girls enjoy their hunt.

You are taking one of the girls to Texas with us still ? We only take kids who have not taken a big game animal, I know it's tuff to lay off filling a deer tag, but the kids sure enjoy the Texas hunt and experience !!

Bobby

Az Chapter SCI

what i saw was a 90% draw rate and a 38% hunt success. what is the matter with that? what is the draw rate and success for 36b?? or another unit that might be better??

Great unit in my opinion, maybe November instead of December and you have to hike. Not just a little hike, but a lot of hiking. You gotta get in behind private where the roads don't go. Probably not the best unit for taking a couple new people but still a good unit if you put in the work.

I ment instead of October, not December haha