SpeedGoat

1223 License Simplification Bill

Attention to all: The AZGFD is holding public input meeting in the next few weeks to get our feedback into the new license structures and fees. They have brought up "premium" tags and licenses.

Last year a certain piece of legislation got everyone's camo panties in a bunch about the King's deer.

This is YOUR chance to be heard, so now is the time to speak. I am not being a fear monger just wanted to give you a heads up to get in the game.

Luck, wishes, and prayers,

DP

Thanks and I also encourage each of you to do so. I attended last night's meeting in Mesa and was surprised with a couple combo hunt/fish package that saves us money. I think what they are doing is giving us something that looks good in one hand hoping they get our blessings on the Premium hunts which I'm not in favor of at all. Just my .02 cents. :)

TJ

this is a 2 part situation. the first part was getting the legislature to agree to let AZGFD manage fees etc. and based on a presentation I went to a couple months back, I agreed that the game dept should have control over pricing. this 2nd part will be the pricing and I am pretty sure all of us will be listened to. I don't think there is any hidden agenda. just make sure everyone makes their voices heard by either going to the public meetings or emailing in comments....Allen Taylor

I think there were about 17 people who attended tonight's meeting in Kingman, not counting all the G&F folks.

Thought it was a good meeting, Dept. people explained the concepts in detail.

Here are my OPINIONS about some of the items that were addressed tonight. These are just my opinions; so don't hammer me and call me names, etc. Keep it civil. We all have opinions and I'll respect yours even if I don't agree with you.

I personally like the $5 juniors license concept, but think that juniors elk and deer tags ought to be the same, $25. And I like that youth will be defined as from 10-17 years old, and I'm OK that licenses are required for kids ages 10 and up as long as they are just $5. Remember these will be combo licenses, good for hunting and fishing. That's a deal. That is the price of one movie compared to a year in the outdoors.

I think I like the idea that a license is good for 365 days from when you buy it.

Don't care for the "premium" deer and elk proposals, but IF the majority of AZ sportsmen support them, I think that the units that are managed as "alternative management units" for deer, and not all units north of the ditch, should have the premium designation.

I was surprised to hear the NR that attended the meeting tonight say that he wouldn't mind paying $700 for a Premium deer tag! I suspect that he doesn't realize that just because the price is raised to $500, that is NOT going to improve his odds. Sure some may drop out, but for those seeking a deer tag north of the ditch, G&F won't have any trouble having lots and lots of applicants who will gladly fork over $500 for a Strip tag.

Now when those same NR guys get that early Kaibab tag, and according to G&F, 80% of the bucks taken on that hunt are 1,2, or three years old, hardly seems worthy a Premium designation does it?

On the same token, do you as an Arizona resident think that a 2 X 2, or small 3 X 3 is worth $100 for a tag? Nah, you can get those in Unit 16A...ok you used too.

Don't care for the elk "premium" designation either. But again IF the majority of AZ sportsmen are for it, look at the four units that have alternative management designations now, make Unit 1, 23, 9 and 10 as your Premium units.

While folks back east probably think ALL Arizona elk units are "Premium" it is way out of line to designate 25% of ALL of Arizona's tags as "Premium".

Here is another item that was of interest to me. I got to wonder how the NR sportsman will feel about paying $160 for their NR hunting license ($151.25 now) which will also come with all those added fishing perks??

The Dept. said these new increases could raise about $3.5 million, which they say they is about what they are short on balancing their budget.

There have been no raises in tags/licenses since 2007.

For sportsmen that are fortunate to be still working, I suspect these increases won't stop them from staying in the "game".

But G&F needs to also consider those folks who are on fixed incomes and are living close to the belt as it is, especially when Obama Care kicks in (sorry just couldn't resist) as if these "conceptual increases" become reality, it could be a problem.

Oh, my feeling on the premium thing is that I think everyone, regardless of their age/and/or economic status, should have a shot at applying for a "trophy" tag. Game in AZ is held in the public trust, not just for those that are fortunate enough to have enough money where a $100 or $200 is not a big deal. But what about the 24 year old working man, with a wife and two small kids, a house payment, truck payment all all that goes with it. Wildlife belongs to him as much as it belongs to the CEO of a company.

Don't price him out of the "game" just because of his economic status.

One item brought up was that these concepts virtually address every aspect of hunting/fishing. No stone is left unturned. From the application fee to tags and licenses, all of these things are the subject of possible changes.

Again the Dept. has had no increases of tags/licenses since 2007 so maybe some kind of increase is justified.

Truly nice that the Dept. and Commission are seeking input from you, their constituency before they come out with a final decision.

Rather than wait and complain later on, get involved in this process and let them know how you feel.

Whatever happens will start on January 1, 2014. The time is now to offer input.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

• Like 2

I understand that the G&F has budget issues, and needs more money. That is normal for any agency. I do have a problem with the designation of hunts. They should just raise prices across the board to balance everything fairly. $13.00 for an application fee is almost double.

Personally I would rather pay double for a deer tag and have the G&F reduce the permit increases that they have been making in recent years, instead of dealing with overcrowded units, and making for a lesser quality hunt. But that is just me. I understand it would not be as affordable for larger families that hunt, hence, the juniors should be allowed a cheaper permit on non-junior general hunts. Just a thought?

I like the idea of habitat, or, conservation stamp......... within reason.

My only concern, is in the past, the G&F commission seem to use the public input process as a formality, and end up doing what is in their best interest, regardless of any hunter opposition. I have a big problem with that, However, it is impossible to please everybody, so a fair, and balanced, objective is the best course of action.

I will forward my thoughts and ideas to the G&F.

I haven't looked at the new proposals yet, but I have been an advocate of premium hunts for awhile. Is a 7 day October whitetail hunt equivalent to a 16 day December hunt? Is a September Bull Elk hunt equivalent to a November Bull Elk Hunt? Should a cow elk tag cost the same for a September Bull tag?

·

if ya want a true premium tag - needs to be a 3 day season with a trophy statis of minimum - 6x6 bull- you are a trophy hunter and you cant just shoot any ole elk!

same for deer a 3 day season- minimum 4x4

pick one unit each yr - similar to the early rifle tags

yes an elk tag is an elk tag - cow -spike-big bull should all be the same price reguardless of the time of yr..

when you want to make a privileged hunt then it has to have its own season - we don't need to split up the hunts seasons anymore -

if we go down this road with a $200 preminum tag we will eventually start talkin about the pts of the antler system -

spike tag cheaper than a 5x5 and a 6x6 or bigger will cost the most - I don't ever want that to happen here in Az.

Not everyone wants to tag a huge scoring animal - yes its nice to be able too when they show - makes for a happier hunter but I'd much rather fill my freezer-- sure a huge rack on the wall looks nice and you can brag how big he is but its the meat that feeds the family.

• Like 1

if ya want a true premium tag - needs to be a 3 day season with a trophy statis of minimum - 6x6 bull- you are a trophy hunter and you cant just shoot any ole elk!

One purpose of a premium hunt is to hunt a longer season and to pay extra for the longer hunts. A premium hunt doesn't have to be a trophy hunt,

yes an elk tag is an elk tag - cow -spike-big bull should all be the same price reguardless of the time of yr..

when you want to make a privileged hunt then it has to have its own season - we don't need to split up the hunts seasons anymore -

How can you call a September Bull elk tag the same as a cow tag when one is fairly easy to draw for while the other is not.

if we go down this road with a $200 preminum tag we will eventually start talkin about the pts of the antler system -

spike tag cheaper than a 5x5 and a 6x6 or bigger will cost the most -

Not likely

Not everyone wants to tag a huge scoring animal - yes its nice to be able too when they show - makes for a happier hunter but I'd much rather fill my freezer-- sure a huge rack on the wall looks nice and you can brag how big he is but its the meat that feeds the family.

This is true for a meat hunter. This is why you have cow tags, and keep them cheap and easier to draw for.

the opportunity is now for everyone to express their opinion. either go to a meeting or submit responses online. as Don has mentioned, there hasn't been an increase for some years while every cost to run the game dept has. I may not like paying more, but I understand why. I have expressed areas I think should be improved and fees that shouldn't go up....everyone should send their comments in before decisions are made..Allen Taylor

premium tag hunts - baiting ban - the whole nothing by waterhole that might disturb wildlife(sounds like blinds and tree stands) - forest road closures.... what has happened to our state? 41 yrs I have lived here and loved the outdoors but I find myself putting in for next to nothing now cuz all the fun is just being sucked out of the sport for me. I liked it much better back in the day when the old cowboy game and fish guy would stop at my camp and have cup of coffee by fire while checking our tags.. now... ha! usually some highly educated dumby with his hand on his pistol or assault rifle instead of that coffee cup. it just sucks! id say within 1 more year I will be weened off hunting and all you trophy guys. NR, and guides can have whatever I might have taken.. oh wait I only really hunted for meat anyways. :( well all this junk G & F is doing that effects me simply so they can get more $ is pushing me and my dollar away and im sure others will do the same so expect more increases in cost to come shortly...