Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Ar15 in 6x45 or 6mm 223

I just finished a build. I cant wait to get some loads put together. It is a 6mmx45 or a 223 case necked up to a 243. I hope my kids get drawn for the youth Coues hunts to try it out. If anyone has any experience with this caliber send me a note.

PIcs will follow.

IMG_20130528_073841_632_zps0fd0ae21.jpgIMG_20130526_155322_342_zpsb72585e0.jpg

That is a cool looking rifle. I was reading about that caliber and I think it would work very well for small big game. I always wondered why it wasnt offered in other guns???

Just my opinion but doing the round and load usually comes first? Work up the case reaserch the loads build the round then the reamer? Why not 243 straight up? What might be better about the x45 over 243 other than being different? Also when zombies come and you run out of rounds you can't Stop at wallmart for more ammo? Oh and very nice rig as well.

I ordered the barrel from Blackhole Weaponry. And put it together myself. It is a Seekins SP3R upper with a 12in rail. I have the dies/bullets and lots of spent 223. I like that this isn't a fire formed round. You just press it to 6mm when you remove the spent primer. You don;t have to change the BCG, or the magazine. I basically wanted a 243 out of an AR15 platform without carrying my AR10. I have both a 243 and a 308 upper for my AR10 but it is such a heavy setup. I have a 10rd mag to carry when hunting so it doesn't interfere with the tripod. I have ammo that Les Baer had Blackhills load up, there are groups of people shooting this rifle. I didn't develop it. As for zombie attacks, I have 3 other Ars in 223 but good luck finding ammo at Walmart, then or now.

• Like 1

I ordered the barrel from Blackhole Weaponry. And put it together myself. It is a Seekins SP3R upper with a 12in rail. I have the dies/bullets and lots of spent 223. I like that this isn't a fire formed round. You just press it to 6mm when you remove the spent primer. You don;t have to change the BCG, or the magazine. I basically wanted a 243 out of an AR15 platform without carrying my AR10. I have both a 243 and a 308 upper for my AR10 but it is such a heavy setup. I have a 10rd mag to carry when hunting so it doesn't interfere with the tripod. I have ammo that Les Baer had Blackhills load up, there are groups of people shooting this rifle. I didn't develop it. As for zombie attacks, I have 3 other Ars in 223 but good luck finding ammo at Walmart, then or now.

I was looking at building one of those as well. I've read nothing but good things about those blackhole barrels. Let us know how it shoots. What weight bullets are you planning on shooting?

My barrel is 1 in 9 so I probably won't go heavier then 85gr. might try up to the V-max 87. Have to paper shoot some before I try them suppressed. Don't want to open my suppressor up with a tumbling bullet.

I will post some targets as the fun part of the build progresses. Wayno45 asked who built it, and I said I did. What I didn't mention, is that I work part-time at Merchant Firearms and I built the entire top and bottom. If anyone needs parts to build one, let me know. We either have it, or I can help you get it.

Great looking gun. I would stick with bullet weights above 70 grains to maximize the calibers potential. With bullet weights 70 grains and under your not really doing anything different than the 223 as the 22 cal bullets will have a higher b.c. from being longer and sleeker and will retain energy and velocity better down range. The 85 game king would be great coues medicine.

Stomp, I agree. I got the varmint grenades to try on some coyotes. I have 500 of the Gamekings to work with to find the magic.

Here are a couple of the loads I want to try.

IMR-3031
Fed 205M
Fed.
Sierra SP or HPBT

H-322
Rem 7.5
LC 79
Sierra HPBT

If I can get Varget this one

Varget 26.7 2830 52000

Imr 3031 will work awesome and probably give some of the best groups and velocity but is horribly temp sensitive. Imr 4064 should also give good results as it is very close to Varget as far as burn rate goes and far more stable than 3031.