COOSEFAN

Coosefan is Alive!

Hey guys, I am finally home from a trip I will never forget! From the time I left my house, till the time I returned home, I never knew exactly what would happen and never really knew what obstacles stood in our way. We had an Outfitter who was supposed to organize our flights and have a camp set up for us and supply all our food. This Outfitter had given us very little info leading up to the hunt and this all set the stage for a very nerve-racking adventure. We did get our tags in Anchorage on Labor day at the local Fred Meyer store but had to take several taxi's to several stores in search of Caribou tags. It was always raining and flights were never a sure thing but at the end of 3 days, we were standing on a beach in the middle of nowhere, with 1500 lbs of camp crap, waiting for us to haul up and into the trees to set up. The country we were stuck in, was not what we had expected. I thought there would be some tundra and open places to walk and glass. Not even close! This was the most insane thick junk I have ever hunted, it looked just like what I pictured a dense jungle looking like, but throw in the fact that there were VW sized Brown Bears in the woods with you........ :unsure: I glassed up one herd of Caribou on the highest peak about 6 miles from camp, along with one of those brown "Volkswagens with legs", one huge moose that was too far into the thick stuff to even try for and some of the most amazing scenery on this planet! We had about 8 full days of rain and 4 days of nice sunny "bug filled" days. We saw a total of 3 bull moose, 2 of which I called in, 1 we had to pass because we could not determine if he was over our 50" minimum, and the other is dead and is on it's way to my house! We did scrounge up probably the only two Caribou that lived anywhere other than on the highest peak, and My buddy tagged one of them. The whole hunt is on video, all the shots and call-ins were on tape and we have around 400 pics on memory cards. Unfortunately, all of my luggage, including my video case with all my videos and pics, are still in Alaska somewhere! They bumped everything except for my rifles and are supposed to be flying it out sometime and arrive here sometime? Very frustrating and scary, I did lock the case and it is a Pelican case so should be OK as long as it makes it home! We did have a couple pics from when we flew out that I'm showing you now, I'll post the better pics and story when I get them. Thanks, JIM>

ala6.jpg

ala4.jpg

ala3.jpg

what an awesome experience for you...way to be...you toughed it out, worked hard, and have memories that will last you a lifetime....congrats and we are all glad to see you made it out alive :D

thats killer i need to plan a trip that way one of these days. cant wait to see the pics, sounds like u had a fantastic time thanks for sharing and getting my blood pumping.

Good to see you made it back safely and successfully. Those wax boxes bring back some fond memories. Also were you able to get a good closeup of those brown volkswagons its even better when they are within 20 feet of you :D

Welcome back Jim!

It's always a treat to come back from the last frontier and step foot on AZ soil *warm and familiar!

The pictures are nice, steel grey skies and that emerald green background.

Glad to see that you made it home safely and can't wait to see the other pictures of AK.

Alaska is somewhat about adaptation and the human condition. You can prepare for anything, but never know if it will happen or when . Glad that you got a chance to get a Moose and Bou.

I know that in your mind, you'll have to return at somepoint and maybe find another highly 'recommended outfitter'.

Good luck with your upcoming guiding/bull elk hunts -!

Doug

AzP&Y

Welcome home,

sounds like you should post that outfitters name so none of us use him! Sounds like a good hunt but it sounds like your outfitter never established a working relationship with you so you knew what you would be dealing with. That is poor customer service if you ask me. At least you were able to make lemonade out of your lemons. AG

Happy to have you back in the state there coosefan! Hopefully your gear will get here soon and in one piece. Sounds like you worked hard for what you got, congratulations.

Welcome home,

sounds like you should post that outfitters name so none of us use him! Sounds like a good hunt but it sounds like your outfitter never established a working relationship with you so you knew what you would be dealing with. That is poor customer service if you ask me. At least you were able to make lemonade out of your lemons. AG

Thanks for the replys guys. In regards to the outfitter, I can tell you that I was very upset for the first couple of days :angry: I thought that our camp would already be set up and waiting for us, We also were told that our spot held alot of Caribou, and after my first hour of hunting, I was pissed that we even spent the extra money for the 'Bou tags, and last, they bought a boat for us all to share and tacked on the cost of the boat between us without any warning prior to the hunt.

If all this stuff was spelled out up front, I would have had no complaints. Setting up camp sucked, it was one of those huge WeatherPorts and weighed a ton, carrying it on and off the plane and down the beach and up a hill.........no fun........especially on your first hunting day in Alaska. BUT......it was a very comfortable camp and we had an older gentleman who cooked for us and the food was incredibly fattening but was outstanding........Moose tenderloins smothered in gravy and mashed potatoes and corn :D As far as leading us on, making us think this was a combo hunt for Moose AND CARIBOU..... we brought the 15's and tripods and found the Caribou, the tags were burning holes in our pockets, and we almost executed a suicide mission to the top of the highest mountain to fill those tags. If we had the boat for longer, we would have done it, but thankfully, a couple of lost 'Bou came strolling by. I didn't shoot a 'Bou, I was the video guy on that one and had my mind still set on one of the bulls on the peak..........but then the Moose killed that plan later. And as far as the boat deal......I would not have gotten my Moose if it weren't for the boat. It was the only way we could get to a huntable area........otherwise it would have been about 4 miles of nasty shoreline to travel just to get to the area, and no matter where you hunt....you always have to ask yourself if your willing to pack a Moose all the way back to camp from there.......I was happy to pay for the boat......just would have been nice to have been told prior to the hunt.

I feel things could have been much worse and all in all we were taken care of. I don't know of any other outfitters in Alaska so I don't know how my experience ranks in comparison to others. I do know that out of all the other hunters we talked to, it was a big accomplishment just to have gotten a Moose and a 'Bou, it definitely helps if you are already a dedicated hunter and had done your homework on calling Moose!

Are you going to post some of the vids for us too? It sounds like you had a great time up there even though it wasn't what you thought it would be.

Can't wait for the photos!

Glad you made it back even with a lighter "wallet". I know how scary those bears look, on Kodiak I about pooped my pants when a couple got real close to me through the alder thickets around some creeks. I was so amazed at the vast/rugged country, you feel so small and helpless alot of the times. It is a trip I will make again but like you said if you use an "outfitter", try and make sure they know their stuff. I was self guided for Sitka Blacktails so I kinda knew it was up to me other than the boat I stayed on. Your trip was a tougher one flying out and having to set up camp........congrats on your great bull..........Allen.......