rossislider

A Couple of New Muzzle Brakes

I just got a couple of rifles back from having muzzle brakes installed.

The first brake is a Shrewd brake I put on my wife and son's Tikka T3 7mm-08. My gunsmith installed and bead blasted it to match.

The second is a Bagder Thruster I had installed on my 300 RUM.

Anxious to get out this weekend and see how they shoot.

post-6408-0-68672200-1369801837_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-12645400-1369801858_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-22860400-1369801874_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-36665200-1369801886_thumb.jpg

Who did the work? How much was the badger? I like the design of the Badger.

I had two different gunsmiths do them. The shrewd was by my Lance at Dane Customs. The Badger was done by Keith at Phoenix Custom in Tempe. I have different reasons for why I would and would not use each gunsmith in the future.

I was really impressed with the turn around time of Keith at Phoenix Customs. I took the rifle in on Wednesday afternoon and he called me on Thursday morning to let me know it was done. I found the work quality to be good as well. Brake and labor came to $195.

Lance at Dane Customs does not have nearly as good of a turn around time. Don't plan on getting your riffle back for at least a couple of weeks. He might be able to rush it for you, but don't plan on it. HOWEVER, Lance's work is outstanding and super clean! Take my brake for example, you can't tell where the rifle ends and the brake starts. I even had a gun salesman try to argue with me that it wasn't an actual brake, rather holes drilled into my barrel. Had to measure the barrel length to prove it to him. I believe this brake was also in the neighborhood of $200.

Which one will I us in the future? Perhaps both. But if time isn't an issue, Lance at Dane Customs wins hands down.

A few people have been asking about gunsmiths and muzzle brakes recently, so I thought I'd renew this old thread of mine from a couple of years ago.

• Like 2

That is beautiful work. I do have a question. I have a medallion grade 300 win mag by Browning I am think of having this done. I have heard that it did on rare occasions affect the accuracy and FPS. Have you ever found this to be true?

I have shot the 300 RUM both before and after the brake. On all occasions I have been under half MOA at 200 yards and the velocity did not change on my chronograph. So I won't say for a 100% certainty that accuracy and velocity were not affected. But if it was, it was so small that my shooting skill level could not show it.

• Like 1

Thanks Rossislider. I didn't want to ruin a tack driver I have with this brake.

The Badger Thruster can be turned down to match barrel contour also.

004_zpsxqmn9hdz.jpg

As far as negative effects to accuracy....I don't think so. That is 3 shots. They probably help, because you do not get recoil shy and can shoot more comfortably.

Group%2013%202_zpsmjlifcyk.jpg

• Like 2

Phoenix Custom Rifles did a Badger Thruster on my custom 300 RUM build and I love it. I can shoot it all day and not be sore. If I were to do it again I think I would have them turn it down to match the contour of the barrel, only because I think it looks better that way.

As far as accuracy, this rifle wil shoot one hole if I do my part.

post-8805-0-91928800-1429265430_thumb.jpg

post-8805-0-26438200-1429265460_thumb.jpg

post-8805-0-41637700-1429265479_thumb.jpg

post-8805-0-09555900-1429265872_thumb.jpg

Lance does breaks really well. He also take his time haha. He has a lot of work and doesn't Rush stuff out of his shop for sure. I used him on a 700 build and could not be happier with the detail and quality. As rossislider said, if you ain't worried about getting it back in the next week or two he is my first choice.