COOSEFAN

Coosefan's Alaskan Hunt

Alright, most of my bags arrived today, still missing one though. They arrived on a totally different airline and had someone elses name on the bags, we got lucky that our phone # was still on them! Fortunately the video case was one that arrived so here's the story and pics.

This hunt arrived fast and my friend Bret and I tried to prepare as best we could. Alot of folks helped us with info and several well known guys from this site gave me alot of great info as well. It all helped greatly! Our outfitter was supposed to set up camp for us and fly us in to the area. We had little contact with him prior to the hunt but we always had just enough info to get us from point A to point B and we eventually showed up 3 days later at a small airport in Dillingham. This is where we met our outfitter and the other two guys that were to be in our camp. We also found out then that there really aren't any Caribou in our area and that our whole camp was sitting in the hangar waiting to be loaded into the float plane! We had just spent alot of money on our Caribou tags and weren't very happy about the fact we had to set up camp when we arrived. Oh well, we were in Alaska!

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

This is where we landed "hoping" it would be a good area :huh:

IMG_4074.jpg

We set up camp and the plane brought in the other two hunters and their gear, we got all set just at dark.

The next morning was when I got really frustrated when I realized how difficult and unexpected this hunt was turning out to be! I had always heard of "Alders" but that day was when I gained respect for them and a very big dislike for them! It had started raining and didn't stop for several days, all the leaves and chest high grass was soaked and we were testing our raingear to it's limits. We eventually stumbled onto this little oasis in the jungle and hunted it every day for several days, making long calling stands with bull Moose grunts and hours of raking and thrashing trees, with nothing to show for it except rusted rifles and my scope took in moisture and was done for the hunt!

alask28.jpg

After several days the rain finally left and the bugs came out! We glassed from camp and finally found a herd of Caribou on a huge mountain sevaral miles from camp. We determined these 'Bou might be our only chance to fill a tag because there was very little Moose sign near camp and and nothing fresh. We patterned the 'Bou for a couple of days while waiting for the boat, which was being used by another camp across the lake. We needed the boat to eliminate the 6 miles between us and the base of the mountain, and we needed alot of courage to get up that mountain because we also saw a huge Brown Bear on the Alder covered side that we needed to go up!

alas20.jpg

alas21.jpg

We eventually got the boat and made a trip to evaluate the situation and make a plan.

alask10.jpg

alaska8.jpg

alas24.jpg

The next morning Bret glassed up a huge Black Bear above camp where the other two hunters had been hunting. They jumped on the chance to hunt it because we could use our tags for a Black Bear if we wanted. Bret and I stayed to watch it unfold. As we sat there waiting, I looked to my right and there were two Caribou cows standing about 80 yrds looking at us! No rifles, just fishing poles and glasses with us! Bret ran up to camp for the rifle, I grabbed the camera and the 'Bou disappeared into the Alders. We snuck around and went in and still-hunted through the thick stuff. I cought a glimpse of one and we set up and I started calling as though it were a cow elk, and the cow came running! Camera rolling, the cow stopped at around 80 yrds and turned giving Bret a shot. He drilled it and it took off and a perfect follow up shot put her down. ( notice how bad the bugs were in the pics )

alas29.jpg

alaska21.jpg

alas28.jpg

Even though it was a cow Caribou and Bret lived up to his reputation of shooting one-antlered critters, this was a highlight we'll never forget! It was emotional for us because of all that we had gone through to get to that point, and it was our first Alaskan critter! Little did we know it would get better!

BTW, the other hunters didn't make it to the bear in time for a shot, the bear moved out of the opening and left.

Great pics there coosefan. Glad you guys were able to see at least a couple of caribou. The bugs can be a little bit of a pain up there cant they? Great pictures also. Also how far of a fly in did you guys have?

Glad to see you made it back with out becoming bear poop Jim. Great photos and great Moos by the way. Those bugs are just about to drive me nuts and they are on you guys. :lol:

I forgot to mention that the night before we got the Caribou, we were fishing on the beach by camp where I had made some calls earlier, and we heard some bull grunts and branches breaking. There was a bull coming down to the beach and Bret ran to get his rifle. I had the binos and light was fading. We tried to close the distance but the Moose came out fast and started heading toward us. We set up and tried to evaluate him. He was huge with points all over, but he only had two brow tines per side and when he stopped at less than 80 yrds, neither of us could tell if he was definitely over the 50" mark. He stood there for about 2 minutes and turned to leave and I stopped him broadside for another minute. We still couldn't agree he was over 50" and had to let him walk! I really feel he was right at or maybe an inch or two over because of his long tines on both sides, but our thoughts were it would be better to come home saying we passed him instead of coming home with hefty fines and a ruined hunt! Bret got to have him in his scope for a long time and that was incredible by itself!

With a new hope, an animal under our belt, and the boat for two more days, we put our plans for the mountain on hold and went looking for better Moose country. We found it about 2 miles East of camp. The country had meadows and a beutiful pond with lillypads, Moose heaven!

alas11.jpg

We hunted it for one morning and one evening never hearing or seeing anything, but our hunting partners had some vocal interaction with a bull Moose not far from us so with one morning left with the boat, we planned on giving it our best. We hiked in before light and set up on the pond. It had several meadows feeding into this area and the fog that morning was very thick. It was an unbelievable sight, just like being in a picture, all we needed was a Moose in the picture with us! Shortly after it got light we heard bull grunts way behind us and moving away to the South. We jumped up and ran into the adjacent meadow and set up with his grunts getting farther away on the opposite side. I started bull grunting and it seemed to stop him and he started tearing a tree apart. I imitated him and took it a step further and started beating up an Alder bush harder and louder than he was. Over the noise I was making, I could hear his nonstop grunting getting closer and closer. Because of the fog I could barely make out the opposite side of the clearing, but when the Alder brush started to indicate something big moving through and towards us, I got set up and ready! His antlers appeared first and then the huge dark body and he was on a steady swagger towards us in the boad open now. I could see he had huge brow tines and looked gnarly, but he only had three per side so I knew it would have to come down to his width. I learned that the distance between the eyes is 10 inches and use that as a guage, he looked like he had extra distance on his right side and his left side looked to be right at what it takes to be 50". I looked back at Bret 3 different times with the bull now standing broadside at 60 yrds to get his oppinion. He was seeing what I had and agreed he was at least the 50" minumum with enough room to spare, so I leveled on him and shot! He spun around and I shot again in the same spot on his opposite side. He then started walking straight away back towards the Alders and that is not where I wanted him! We were trying to stop him or turn him with "elk" calls out of habit and it finally worked and I hit him again. He didn't even flinch! I hit him a fourth time and that is when he finally tipped over!

alas8.jpg

alas9.jpg

alas15.jpg

alask1-1.jpg

The camera was rolling the whole time and Bret did an outstanding job with it! I never got too excited until we ran the tape on him and all my fears went away. This was the highlight of my hunting life and I can not explain the feeling Bret and I felt that morning! The Moose taped out at almost 57" and was the biggest critter I have ever seen outside of the zoo! It took us 12 hours to pack every last scrap of meat and bone (legally have to take the quarters out UN-BONED) back out to the shore about 800 yrds away. The State Trooper had to fly in and give us gas for the boat so we could make it back to camp and he then flew over and checked the carcass, they don't mess around up there and I was glad we took the time to do it right! This is the Troopers plane, they are also the G + F officers up there.

alaska7.jpg

I owe alot to my good buddy Bret who selflessly let me carry his rifle after he tagged his 'Bou! He wanted to video me for a change and my rifle scope was all messed up from the moisture. He also is my taxidermist and he did ALOT of work that day that he didn't have to do, but he knows where to make the cuts and I just sat back and acted stupid! We were spent and had 4 more days left so we just relaxed and fished and took in the scenery......the rain came back and never let up also.

alask34.jpg

alask18.jpg

alask16.jpg

alask12.jpg

alas10.jpg

alas23.jpg

alas26.jpg

alask14.jpg

alaska15.jpg

alas22.jpg

alas13.jpg

alas3.jpg

awesome Jim! PLEASE give us the name of the outfitter so we KNOW NEVER TO GO WITH THEM!!!!

what kind of scope did you have on your rifle that fogged up?

sorry for writing a book here.......i've just been excited to finally share the experience! Thanks, JIM>

Great photos Again Jim. Well next time you go you can tell them you want to use your Boat and let them know they do not need to buy another for you. Nice boat you bought there anyways. :lol: They call that the Old bait and switch ya know. It is a way to many people do buisness now days. Hope you have more photos for us. My sister in law is a wild land fire fighter on the hellatack team and jumpers. she was in Alaska for the last few months and has some great photos. I can't waite to go there.

awesome Jim! PLEASE give us the name of the outfitter so we KNOW NEVER TO GO WITH THEM!!!!

what kind of scope did you have on your rifle that fogged up?

I really don't want to give out the name, they were nice guys, they just didn't have there "poop-in-a-group" on this one. If you ever book a hunt or know someone who does, PM me and I will tell you if it is the same guys.

I had spent a ton of money on my .270 to get it ready for this hunt and at the last minute I chickened out and grabbed the 300 Win Mag. I at least knew it had enough power without question and I sighted it in and was dead on out to 300 yrds....BUT this gun is an old trusty one that has a peice of _ _ _ _ scope on it, but it has always done well for me. It was a Bushnell 3-9 x 40 and it is going in the trash. I'm sure a newer Bushnell would have faired better, but I really missed my Leupold!

Nice looking moose!

What an adventure!

You were delt some suprises from the outfitter and were able to roll with the punches, just shows what an awesome and dedicated hunter you are!

thanks for sharing it all with us

Great photos Again Jim. Well next time you go you can tell them you want to use your Boat and let them know they do not need to buy another for you. Nice boat you bought there anyways. :lol: They call that the Old bait and switch ya know. It is a way to many people do buisness now days. Hope you have more photos for us. My sister in law is a wild land fire fighter on the hellatack team and jumpers. she was in Alaska for the last few months and has some great photos. I can't waite to go there.

That is true about the boat.......why couldn't we take it home with us if we had to buy it? :lol: It would be hard to share it with the 8 other guys who live all around the country though!

Great photos.. you got a nice bull! But this kinda crap scares me about AK outfitters.. If they would have told me that I had to buy a new FEAKIN' BOAT when I got there, I would have told him where he can stick that boat and there probably would have been some sleeves rolled up in the process as well... Sorry you had to deal with that kind of outfitter on your first time up there.. But at least you made the best out of the situation.. Shrug it off and find another one to go with..

1 bad apple can ruin the bushel for sure..

Either way it's hunts like that you will cherish for a lifetime.

Funny all the people talking about gnats here in Az ain't seen shoot.

Those bugs in AK look like they could do some damage.

How was the fishing?

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Dan