Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

last years goat

Some of you may recall the pronghorn hunt I went on last year with my good friend Kev.. Just wanted to show the finished product off I finished last night.. It is Kev's buck. I wanted to get it done before I head back over there to TX next Fri. We are headed out goat hunting again and possibly doing a day or two of aoudad hunting as well. I thought the buck came out really nice.. He had a busted tip on one side and I repaired that.. Also bought some full quill ostrich leather and decided to use it for the backside.. I'm gonna use it on mine as well. I thought the leather complimented the mount nicely.. Now I just gotta finish his Coues buck before I leave..

Now I just gotta get busy and work on my own!!

I have 2 goats of my own I still need to get done as well as my coues!!

What do ya'll think?

DSC00878.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

NICE work Scottyboy, looks very nice. Can't wait to see the whitetail.

Very nice job!! That full quill ostrich leather looks good. It is a really nice prairie goat that your friend killed, and I hope you have good luck on your hunt this year.

thanks guys.. I just had a little spare time on my days off and figured I'd knock out Kev's goat and coues before I head to his house next weekend.. I also wanted to get some work out before hunting season rolled around and I got too busy with hunting!

I just mounted my hog today.. i shot this brute way back in 2002.. I have always planned on mounting this pig because I doubt if I ever shoot another one this big.. He weighed 432 lbs..Anyways, I've had the tanned hide in freezer forever and happened to have the right form laying around and this morn I finally said what the heck.. lets put him on the wall.. He's the finishing touch on my "ham slam" for the wall... ie my warthog, bushpig and javie.. now I have the feral/Russian to put the finishing touch on the slam. :) They'll look good all together!! I'll let him dry for a week or so and then put the paint and sculptall to him and he'll be finished!!

Here he is as of just an hour or so ago..

DSC00883.jpg

And here he is way back when I took him.

wtxhog.jpg

and here are my projects for tomorrow and the next few days..

Kev's coues buck.. I'll give ya'll a photo breakdown of the mounting process on him. Here he is ready to be started in the morn.. I got the horns set, the hide ready and the form all ready to go.

DSC00888.jpg

and my two goats from '04 and '05.. I neve get around to mounting my own stuff!! Seems I never have the time with work and all.. But that's all going to change starting tomorrow!!

'04 buck

DSC00887.jpg

and my '05 buck..

DSC00886.jpg

Thanks for lookin' guys!!! :D

You do good work Scottyboy. I do my own and can't get them to turn out that good. I have the most trouble with setting the eyes so now I just order the form with them preset. Those are some big antelope are they from Arizona?

Keven

Thanks Peloncillo.. Yeah, those eyes can give ya fits for sure.. I've never used those forms with the preset eyes before.. Do ya like them? I just never gave them much thought.. Old habits die hard!!

I didn't know we had any other taxidermists on here.. Anyone else?? I worked in a taxidermy shop all thru high school and college.. and then a couple of years afterwards on and off when not guiding.. I just love doing it these days as a hobby and as a supplement income in which the money goes right into my hunting account to go on more hunts!! I usally do about 12 to 15 heads per year. If I get more than that, it becomes too much work, considering the Border Patrol already wants all of my time as it is!! I have competed in the Az or TX state competition with a mount or two since giving it up as a job, but not as much as I would like.. I used to compete in the competitions (state and Nationals) religiously every year way back when ....

I always dreamed or owning a sucessful shop, but was always too scared to make that leap into the unknown and into a personally owned business.. I wish I could.. but who knows, I'm still young!!

Thanks Peloncillo.. Yeah, those eyes can give ya fits for sure.. I've never used those forms with the preset eyes before.. Do ya like them? I just never gave them much thought.. Old habits die hard!!

I didn't know we had any other taxidermists on here.. Anyone else?? I worked in a taxidermy shop all thru high school and college.. and then a couple of years afterwards on and off when not guiding.. I just love doing it these days as a hobby and as a supplement income in which the money goes right into my hunting account to go on more hunts!! I usally do about 12 to 15 heads per year. If I get more than that, it becomes too much work, considering the Border Patrol already wants all of my time as it is!! I have competed in the Az or TX state competition with a mount or two since giving it up as a job, but not as much as I would like.. I used to compete in the competitions (state and Nationals) religiously every year way back when ....

I always dreamed or owning a sucessful shop, but was always too scared to make that leap into the unknown and into a personally owned business.. I wish I could.. but who knows, I'm still young!!

You do nice work - the heads all look really good. I know a taxidermist who has had his shop for many (30+) years and is thinking of hanging it up for good. if you would be interested in maybe taking over his operations, PM me and i can pass your information on to him.