Sign in to follow this  
jmall

understanding the draw process

If I read it correctly..... 2 applicants on one application. One has the hunter Ed bonus point and the other doesn't. Will that round up to 1 point, thus giving 3 total points for the app?

Here is how bonus points work for a group app:

The total bonus points for each applicant is added up and the total is divided by the number of applicants. Therefore if one applicant has 1 bonus point from hunter's ed, and no other bonus points and the other has 0 bonus points then the total bonus points for the application is 1, and that is divided by the number of applicants, in this case two. There fore 1/2 = .5, which is rounded up to 1. So effectively each applicant has 1 bonus point.

Can someone shed some light if I had a second choice that I did not draw and there ended up being left over tags for my second choice?

MDArea,

Each application, regardless of how many individuals are on it, receives one random number assigned to it when you apply. If your application also has an average of one bonus point, exactly as Flatlander correctly described it, you would receive one more random number for your application. This would give your application a total of two random numbers (still only one total bonus point). The drawing process will take into consideration ONLY the lowest of the two random numbers when the drawing is held.

Vowell,

I can think of no scenario wherein there could be leftover tags for your second choice, and you didn't draw it (unless of course you drew your first choice). Now, it IS entirely possible for you to get your second choice, and there could be leftover tags of your first choice after the drawing. It's a flaw in the system which the G&F Dept. has shown no interest in fixing. Can you give more details of your situation?

Vowell,

I can think of no scenario wherein there could be leftover tags for your second choice, and you didn't draw it (unless of course you drew your first choice). Now, it IS entirely possible for you to get your second choice, and there could be leftover tags of your first choice after the drawing. It's a flaw in the system which the G&F Dept. has shown no interest in fixing. Can you give more details of your situation?

I would agree unless the number of applicants on your application exceeded the number of left over tags. Can you tell us what hunt number it was?

Back in 2007 I had put my choices as 1st Oct 23 WT, 2nd 36A Oct WT, 3rd 36B WT and so on. I made a copy of my choices and know for sure I put in for 36A WT 2nd choice because I wanted to hunt a little north of 36B. I was new to hunting and did not realize that every year there were left over tags for the 36's. I ended up drawing a 36B tag and not the 36A tag to my surprise.

Just wondering how that could be? Is there some kind of pass over from the 2nd choice if not drawn for 1st straight to 3rd?

I can't think of any way that should be able to occur.

Possible data entry error ?

I have heard of this a few times, and the only explanation I can come up with is a data entry error. In this case no harm, no foul since you could just pick up a leftover if you still wanted the hunt. However in other scenarios I could see where you may have a case in protesting to AZGFD and getting them to give you a tag.

In this case no harm, no foul since you could just pick up a leftover if you still wanted the hunt.

Unless he drew his 3rd, 4th or 5th choice hunt.

Back in 2007 I had put my choices as 1st Oct 23 WT, 2nd 36A Oct WT, 3rd 36B WT and so on. I made a copy of my choices and know for sure I put in for 36A WT 2nd choice because I wanted to hunt a little north of 36B. I was new to hunting and did not realize that every year there were left over tags for the 36's. I ended up drawing a 36B tag and not the 36A tag to my surprise.

Just wondering how that could be? Is there some kind of pass over from the 2nd choice if not drawn for 1st straight to 3rd?

The devil is in the details. Your first choice was which unit? Your third choice was what date?

In this case no harm, no foul since you could just pick up a leftover if you still wanted the hunt.

Unless he drew his 3rd, 4th or 5th choice hunt.

Correct. Perhaps that is what happened I guess he didn't clarify.