Hey, everyone. I am planning on doing the fall bear hunt this year(first timer). I was wondering how you all preserve/take care of your bear meat with it being so hot during this hunt. I would hate to have any meat go bad.

If your going to have it mounted you need to know where to make cuts before you skin it .You should talk to your taxidermist before you go on your hunt.He should be able to show you.when we get one down we skin it right away.we skin one side,bone out that side,flip it over skin and bone out the other side.we don't even have to gut it this way.when you get back to camp its ready to pack on ice in a cooler.Hope this helps you out.

Thanks man! That is for sure helpful!

If you have someone to go with that is key, especially if you are going in August. Unless a very small bear, you will not be able to pack it out in one trip. If it takes multiple trips the higher the likelihood of spoilage.

• Like 2

If you have someone to go with that is key, especially if you are going in August. Unless a very small bear, you will not be able to pack it out in one trip. If it takes multiple trips the higher the likelihood of spoilage.

...especially if you shoot it across a steep, rugged canyon that takes you several hours to navigate across!

• Like 1

Watch out for snakes, they are really out after dark at that time of year. I started wearing snake proof gaitors after walking up on many of them. Don't see them as often as I hear them buzzing, even with my bad hearing. The gaitors help you get through the catclaw and prickly pear after dark also.

Gutless, bone out is the only way to go. However the biggest thing with bears is the hide and head, they are heavy, especially if you shoot one who is soaking in a pool. And Kidso is right, those big steep canyons get even bigger and steeper with a 90 lb pack on a 90 degree day.

/>

...especially if you shoot it across a steep, rugged canyon that takes you several hours to navigate across!

Yeah, I am really hoping that I can find a good spot in the high country where I can set up a tree stand to get the job done a bit closer, haha. I will for sure hunt the prickly pears if I have to though.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!