Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Jaguarundi

With all of this talk lately about jaguars, I thought I would bring up a topic that I have not talked about in years----jaguarundi. Has anyone seen one in the wild? About 8 years ago, I was hunting deer late in the evening and after not seeing anything sitting, I decided to walk some flats and very large washes to see if I can catch something lower. As I popped out of a deep wash, something jumped up about 10 yards in front of me and I quickly raised my rifle thinking fox. After a VERY good look at it, I knew something was not right and that is was not a fox. It had a very long, slender body with short legs and a flat, cat-like face with whiskers. The body was jet black.

It was the first and only time that I KNOW for sure that I saw a jaguarundi. Anyone ever seen one in Arizona outside of the zoo and the internet?

This is a jaguarundi:

http://www.pima.gov/cmo/sdcp/species/fsheets/jag.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguarundi

And no, I will NOT reveal the location, so please do not ask!

i know people that have seen them i have a trail cam pic of one but refuse to post it or email it due to the way websites are and game and fish but your not crazy they are real

VERY cool that you have a trail cam pic of one! They are supposedly extremely rare to be photographed. I hope I do not stir anything up but I was interested to see if anyone else had seen one. Thanks for responding. Would really like to see that trail cam pic someday in person if possible, I think they are really neat animals!!!

i know people that have seen them i have a trail cam pic of one but refuse to post it or email it due to the way websites are and game and fish but your not crazy they are real

Hey is your pops Hector??

I glassed one up a few years ago in Southern AZ. It too was the black version verses the tan more rare version. I watched it come out of a spring and work its way across the hillside. It was pretty awesome!

Lance

http://www.timberlandoutfitters.blogspot.com/2013/06/tlo-interactive-seminar-and-class-by.html

I haven't heard head of this animal either but it makes me wonder if it is what my closest neighbor saw on her porch? I showed her pictures of all the cats I knew of and the cudamundis (spelling?) and she said no. It was a bigger uglier version of my cat. I didn't have a clue?