Sign in to follow this  
43F

Spotting Scope/Bino Advice

So I'm looking to make some purchases before this season and am not really sure what direction to go in. I'm still trying to get this AZ hunting thing down and want to either improve my binos or add a spotting scope. I have a Millet 4-16x50 scope that I'm using and a pair of Bushnell binos from Walmart that I bought for $80 a couple of years back, think they are 10x40. So my question is, would it be better to add a spotting scope or improve my binos. As far as spotting scopes go, just looking for an entry level spotting scope, maybe $250-500. I have never used a spotting scope before so I'm not sure what the advantages may be over a good pair of binos.

Binos for sure. I don't have a scope personally but when I'm out with friends we only use it to determine if what we see with our binos is a buck (either putting spikes on deer for first time hunters or judging if the buck we see is something we want to chase) . Usually this is quite a ways away as we are all glassing with 15s.

Binos, check out vortex and nikon in that prices range. I have a pair of nikon monarch 10x42 that have been great and found a lot of animals, last season I upgraded to vortex kiababs and love them. Good luck!

• Like 1

So I'm looking to make some purchases before this season and am not really sure what direction to go in. I'm still trying to get this AZ hunting thing down and want to either improve my binos or add a spotting scope. I have a Millet 4-16x50 scope that I'm using and a pair of Bushnell binos from Walmart that I bought for $80 a couple of years back, think they are 10x40. So my question is, would it be better to add a spotting scope or improve my binos. As far as spotting scopes go, just looking for an entry level spotting scope, maybe $250-500. I have never used a spotting scope before so I'm not sure what the advantages may be over a good pair of binos.

question to yourself..... what pisses you off more??? not being able to put horns on a deer at say 1500 - 2000 yds and getting closer only to find out DOE!

or not seeing well in low light? ie., under bushes in the shade or at first light or at dusk??

Binos on a tripod definitely help a 1000 times whether walmart binos or top of the line. My brother in law can spot a pimple on a knats a$$ at 1000yds with walmart binos

I have a big pair of nikons 16x50 for the tripod and I just purchased some vortex vipers in 10x42 for around my neck.

BINOS + tripod gets my vote.....

James

A spotting scope will come into play when you want to see something that your binoculars don't have the power to see enough details to make either a game animal or object out. Bino's in the 8-10 power will make out details up to 300-500 yards depending on their quality and the time of day and available light. 10x50 or 8x42 is about right for use without a tripod.

Higher magnification requires a tripod if you are going to look at something for longer than 20 seconds or you will get some fatigue and shaking which is why most people use tripods. The higher you go up in magnification the smaller the area you are actually looking at gets, commonly referred to Field Of View (FOV).

The downside of a spotting scope is you will get eye strain and a headache if you spend a long time looking through it, say two or three minutes at a time. This won't happen with bino's. The plus side is at 20X or 60X you will see a lot more detail, but be aware just because the power is high that doesn't mean that you will actually be able to see what you are looking at in detail if you buy a lower end spotter.

Also if you see a deer on 30X that is 1500 yards away it is going to take you a while to get there.

In your price range I would look at Nikon and Vortex binos. Optics Planet dot com is a good place to do research and then call Doug or Neil at Camerland dot com as they are a sponsor.

If you can spend the most you can afford on binos (Buy once, cry once). Another option is to rent the high end optics if and when you draw a tag. Ross Outdoors on the west side of Phoenix does that and there are other places on the web.

Thanks for the input guys. Don't think I'm really ready for spotting scopes yet. Just going to grab a good set of binos and a tripod. Maybe rent a spotting scope when I have time to scout just to test them out. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Its almost as if Bass Pro Shops is involved with the NSA spying program. Today, I received a coupon for Bass Pro that has x6Rewards points on Nikon products. This after i already found myself leaning towards a set of Nikon Monarchs.

• Like 1