mikep35

Opening Weekend Elk

Just seeing if anybody else had any luck with an elk tag. I finally shot my first elk and my first kill with a bow!

Well, let's hear the story. How far , what unit, bull or cow? Congrats on getting your first!

I got my first archery cow in 7w on Sunday morning. 28 yards.

well i was in 5bs fri sat sun the wind was horrible i could do nothing to get the wind right, finally sunday afternoon the wind calm down and was more predictable. I heard a bull bugle in a draw several times so i stalked up to the area, I was within a few yards of the herd. This bull made a sound I never heard before kinda like a poping noise and heavy breathing. I almost had a shot but some guy that had a bugle call it was so bad it made me cringe needles to say it was all over.

monday morning was calm and no bulges, so I sat a water hole that was in a place i thought I was wasting my time,late in the morning a heard of about five cows and a small bull were coming in so I setup for a shot, the lead cow was about 25 yards so I let one fly,after finding the arrow I confirned what i thought had happend, bad shot I hit the elk and the arrow had very little blood no blood trail it made me sick.

I have practiced all summer a 25 yard shot was "fool proof" bad hand grig and bow tourqe I hit left and caused this.

Hunted with some good friends all weekend I did not have a tag just went to help. The wind was real bad just as we would get close it would change on us. We were very close all weekend but just never got a shot off. I left Mon afternoon.Hated to leave but had not seen the wife for 5 days and I did not have a tag. We had set a ground blind and sat it one evening but nothing came in. Well got a call Tues. night and he had sat in the blind Tues. and got one. There was a fence that ran through the center of the tank and we had set the blind so he would have a great shot over the fence at the side of the tank the elk were coming into. As luck would have it none of the elk stayed on the bank were they should have. They all came running down and into the tank behind the fence. Finally one cow gave him a shot and she dropped into the tank. Went back to get some help and had to fish her out of the tank. There night ended at about 1:00 AM. I was sorry I missed it but had a great time while I was there. Just one more tag to fill hope they were able to do it tonight but have not heard anything.

Ultramag, I think the noise you are referring to is called glunking. It's not very loud so you usually only hear it when you're real close. It's a pretty cool sound. Anyone else heard this before?

Helped a buddy out who has a 5BN tag last weekend. He passed on a small 4x5 standing broadside at 23 yards opening morning and then didn't get into any bulls again until Sunday am. Bull didn't cooperate and went the wrong way around a bush. Heading back up tonight to see if we can close the deal.

Have heard glunking a couple of times. Last time was last year on my archery elk hunt from a 7x7 on the other side of his cows from me... Very cool!

Ultramag, I think the noise you are referring to is called glunking. It's not very loud so you usually only hear it when you're real close. It's a pretty cool sound. Anyone else heard this before?

It is a strange sound to say the least. I heard it last year on a tank in 6A when a nice 6x6 came in. At first I thought he was sick and was going to puke because it sounded like what our dogs do before they revisit their last meal. It wasn't until later that night that I realized what it must have been.

ive heard it before too...on my cow hunt last year in 23...the bull in the herd we were hunting was rutting hard and it made a strange like popping noise...i was like what the heck was that....DUG who is my uncle was with me and he said it was "glunking"...it was really cool

You can make that noise by popping your finger out of the side of your mouth. I have used it before when bulls are really close and hung up without a shot.

You can make that noise by popping your finger out of the side of your mouth. I have used it before when bulls are really close and hung up without a shot.

Just make sure you use it when you are right on top of them, and are hung up like you said. While playing around calling elk during the rut, I have found that glunking too soon will make them round up, and head off in another direction quickly. I use a termanator bugle, and use the mouth piece as a cow call as well as a bugle, but anyways, if you have a tube, hit the palm of your hand on the end of the tube and it will make it perfect also.

Wayne Carlton will hit the palm of his hand on the end of his bugle to make the same sound when bulls are close.

Bass

You beat me to it LOL!! I need to type faster.

i just used the elk bugle call...and did what u guys said...it works great sounds just like it almost...another little trick to the arsenal

I've used this method that Bass describes all the time. Timing is important,ussually when the bull is within 80 yds or so.It sure does make them mad. :)

I shot my cow on opening morning at about 30 yds. My buddy called in a small bull with the Hoochie Mama at about 6:15. He got within about 50 yds and winded him and bolted. About 5 min later the cow came from the opposite way and he was facing the other way in his tree stand. We were spaced about 100 yds apart. She came in as silent as a mouse and I drew. She stayed behind a tree for what seemed like 30 minutes (more like 45 sec or so) and as my bicep started cramping she finally stepped out. She only gave me a shot of her neck and shoulders. Another step and she would have made my buddy in the tree. I shot and hit where her neck meets her shoulder. SHE DROPPED IN HER TRACKS! Talk about an easy tracking job! She weighed about 500 LBS. I think she was a lead cow cause she was huge! We were able to get the quad with the winch down but she was heavier than the quad! The whole front end of the quad came off the ground as we tried to winch her up.

Here is the pic of the cow I shot

post-119-1159502575.jpg