daryl_s

Need Bow Advice

Okay, I have a bow that my dad gave me. I used to use this bow when I was in high school but didn't really know what I was doing. I practiced with it and hunted with it a few times but I have pretty much always been a rifle hunter. I would like to get into archery hunting and get this bow ready to use. I hate to sound ignorant but I really don't know too much about bows. This bow hasn't been used in about 8 years and it has been sitting out in my dad's shop collecting dust. I want to take it somewhere and get it checked out and see what it needs but I don't want to take it into an archery shop and make a fool of myself. I don't have the bow here with me otherwise I'd tell you what kind it is. I would buy a new bow but I just spent a bit of money on a new rifle and scope. What do you guys/gals suggest as far as getting it ready to use? What archery shop would you recommend here in the Valley??? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Daryl

I will post a picture of the bow probably tomorrow morning

try archery headquarters in chandler. dont be embarassed at all...a bow is a bow and it will kill something you dont need anything top of the line or special...my uncle for example bought a really old PSE bow...on basically his 1st hunt he shot a javelina with it...any bow will work. Take it a shop and they will tell what u need...hope this helps a little...p.s you are gonna fall in love with archery hunting once you start...im excited for ya :D

Once you post a pick we can probably help you out a little more. There is a chance all you need is a new string, but hard to say without seeing the bow.

I would try a few "pro shops" but from my experience most of them don't want to waste their time with you unless you are spending $1200 on a new setup. I would try archery headquarters first and then 4-peaks archery.

I can almost tell you right now that almost any shop you go into is going to give you some grief over it. I've seen it more than a few times in the last two years or so with friends who were in the same boat you are now. They are going to try to sell you a new bow because "that thing should be on a wall somewhere." Don't listen to them, tell them that you would love to have a new bow, but want to get this one setup first. Insist that, and they will listen. Have them check it out to make sure that it is still safe to shoot, then have it setup for you. Nothing in archery is ever outdated, heck people are still shooting recurves arn't they? When you get the bow you can check out the wheels, and string to see if they are in good shape, but have a good shop check the limbs out for any tiny cracks.

I would get the string replaced, and have the wheels pulled off and lube them and the axles with graphite. While someone is doing this, they should be able see any cracks or other problems. Shoot this bow and see if you really like it, then try a newer one later if you want. you will be amazed how much different, and nice the new ones are.

GMM

Thanks for all the info so far. I have bowhunted with this bow in the past but I just didn't really know what I was doing. I never had too much knowledge about bows or even this bow. I would love to buy a new bow but I just bought a brand new .270 and put a new scope on it, I don't think my wife would go for the bow just yet. The bow is a PSE, on the inside it says "strato flite express" and on the outside it says "game sport." When I do take it in I will definitely get a new rest because I absolutely HATE the rest it has.

Here are a few pics:

bow007.jpg

bow005.jpg

bow006.jpg

Hey now, that rest was state of the art in it's time! :lol: I use to have a couple PSE' that looked just like that one. You shouldn't have too much of a problem taking that one to a shop and having it tuned up a bit.

that looks like it wil work fine...it will kill an animal thats for sure...just like all the other guys said take into a shop and get it tuned up...and checked

that is good that it has steel cables, so you shouldn't have to spend more than about 10$ on a string. With those tear-drop style attachments you don't even really need a bowpress to change it out. But like Guliuro Mtn Man said it probably wouldn't hurt to clean out the axles.

Pse pro shop is located in Tucson , You can get a new bow for under $300.00 ready to shoot!!! I've seen them as low as $199.00. Trust me here, a new bow is worth its weight in gold. I know you said money's limited, but If there is anyway possible then do it. Shoot yours, then shoot theirs you'll notice the difference. B)