Sign in to follow this  
bowman

Muzzleloader help

Hi all,

I just got drawn for a Muzzleloader whitetail hunt this year....I have been trying to educate myself on them as I have never used one before and know nothing at all about them...

I am currently thinking of buying the Thompson Bone-collector....

The problem is I can't find any information on the loads or ballistic tables....I am familiar with reloading in the traditional manner and can not believe there is not a recipe book out there with common loads.....I must not be using the incorrect terminology or something....

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

The Bone Collector is a nice ML.

I would recommend, CCI 209 Primer, 85 grains Blackhorn and 250 grain Barnez Spitfire.

You will note there is "smokeless powder" (Blackhorn, Shockey) and there are pellets like White Hots etc.

Go to Blackhorn's website and they will give you load data and ballistics.

Good Luck

You need to be careful on the powders and use a black powder or black powder substitute. Smokeless powders are not legal. I was unsure of this and asked a WM friend about it. That is what he told me.

R12-4-301

Muzzleloading rifle” means a firearm intended to be
fired from the shoulder, incapable of firing fixed
ammunition, having a single barrel and single
chamber, and loaded through the muzzle with black
powder or synthetic black powder and a single projectile.

The T/C Triumph Bone Collector is serious deer medicine!!! As far as ballistic data... well, with Black Powder and substitutes it is really tough to get the same kind of consistent ballistic data from shot to shot that you do with a modern smokeless cartridge. You'll be seeing bigger swings in velocity at the muzzle due to the very nature of BP and its subs. You'll also want to "cold bore" that thing when you try to figure it out as BP guns have a tendency to vertically string witha dirty barrel after a few shots. It is possible to get data from the manufacturers in their test barrels- but better to just load up the chrono and hit the range. There are plenty of free apps for smart-phone calculators that show ballistics where you can plug in the muzzle velocity, temperature, elevation, wind, barrel length, scope height, etc... I use a CVA Wolf 209 Magnum and two IMR White Hot pellets behind T/C 240gr XTP Mag Express Sabots. For my "new" older percussion sidelock T/C Tree Hawk I intend to use 65gr Pyrodex P behind a 320gr T/C Maxi Ball. I haven't chrono'd either of those loads yet, I just know from experience that I can "cold bore" center punch a pie plate at 100yds with that CVA Wolf. Good luck and welcome to the addiction of BP hunting!!!