Sign in to follow this  
fatfootdoc

257 weatherby magnum

Well I just got back from sighting in my new rifle and boy howdy does that thing shoot, holy cow, minimal kick and it just flat gets out there. I usually use a 300 wsm for whitetail and I got this baby for antelope but it may become my new deer rifle as well. I am shooting 100 gr nosler BT's and my first 5 shells I used to adjust it and the next 15 were all in about a 1.5 inch spread. Could not believe, I have never had a gun come out that accurate without adjusting loads to it but I think I just got lucky. Now all I need is a blind, deaf 3 legged 16 inch antelope to walk into shooting range. :lol: AG

257 Weatherby magnum ,hmmmm, I'm a 300wby fan but I think you could say your 257 wby is the perfect caliber for Coues and nobody could argue with you much.

I shoot that gun as well. I use the 115 ballistic tips in it and really love the gun. It is plenty good for coues, antelope and muleys if you wanted to. I fell in love with the caliber a few years back and have never regretted it........Allen......

coueshunter,

What type of ballistics are you getting with the 115 gr bullets, are you shooting factory or reloads. What have you found with wind drift, I am used to shooting 150 gr minimum bullet weight so I am kind of in unfamiliar territory. AG

My only experience with the .257 Weatherby was in Wyoming at the Lander One Shot Antelope Hunt many years ago when I guided Anne Thompson, wife of country/western singer Hank Thompson. She and Hank both had .257 Weatherbys. The buck she shot at about 250 yards died in its tracks.

If I needed to buy a rifle specifically for 100-125 pound deer, pronghorn, impala, blesbok, etc., the .257 Weatherby would be among my top choices. However, I already have a .257 Roberts Improved and a 6.5mm Remington Magnum, and both also are appropriate for such game.

That said, if I were to hunt pronghorn or Coues deer tomorrow, I'd take my faithful ol' 7mm Rem Mag. It's really too much gun for animals of that size, but it's what I have used more than any other caliber in recent years.

Bill Quimby

Wow, that is a blast from the past. I owned a rifle in the caliber in the '80s. It was a really flat shooter. The only thing I hunted with it was jack rabbits around the Congress, AZ area. I used the lighter bullets and was pushing them around 4200 fps. I eventually sold it because of the cost of ammo/brass. It was a very catostraphic event when I hit bunnies with it.

I have been shooting a Weatherby Deluxe in 257 Weath. Mag for the past couple of years.. Mainly shoot 115 ballistic tips, averaging around 3390-3420 fps depending on the box of ammo.. Had the rifle accurized by Hill Country Rifles in Texas, worth every penny. Went from 1 inch groups to sub-moa with all factory Weath. ammo. Shot an Elk in Craig Colorado last year at 280 yds with a Barnes 115 gr. high shoulder shot/spine dropped the elk in its tracks. I was a little cocerned about light bullet performance but it worked great. The 100 gr. SP's absolutely destroy deer at under 150 yds. its like a small explosion went off. Ballistic tips may have similiar performance. Good luck with your 257 W

fatfoot: I dont have the ballistic info here with me, but it is easy to look it up on Weatherby's website. I printed out the stats on 115 ballistic tips and laminated it to put on my rifle stock. I bet you will love this gun.........Allen........

recoil is subjective, but my opinion would be it is not much more than the .243 and less than the 7mm. With a rubber recoil pad, this is a great gun for women, kids and men. It has the killing power (ft pounds) out at the ranges like 400 yards that the .243, 6mm, 7mm-08 may not have. Nothing wrong with the other calibers, it just seems the .257 wby mag combines all the right things into this catrtidge.........Allen.......

A lot of guys love to hate Weatherby's. After all they're expensive, they can be a challenge to reload, they use belted cartridges, They have this interesting thing called free bore, and they tend to be barrel burners. The truth is that Roy Weatherby was a man that was way ahead of his time!!! The FPS he was getting out of his rifles 50 years ago was unheard of. Even today many rifle and ammo manufacturers are just beginning to come close to the same levels of performance that his rifles were getting decades ago. Look at all the WSM's, Ultra Mags, and now even WSSM's on the market today. All of these manufacturers are trying new approaches to the same thing that Weatherby has been doing for years! Get more bang for your buck!!!

I'm a big fan of Weatherby rifles. I took a serious look at the .257 wby before deciding to go with the .270 wby instead. To me the .270 gave me option of a little heavier bullet to buck the wind, along with greater kenetic energy down range for those longer shots that coues deer often present. I don't have or want a muzzle break on it, so it's probably not a good gun for a youth, but I can still put 30 -40 rounds through it at the range and not be too soar. I'd say that it kicks somewhere between a .30-06 and a 7mm Mag, which for me is very reasonable. I've shot several deer and antelope with it and nothing I've shot has so much as taken a single step after being hit with it.

I personally don't like using ballistic tips with my .270 wby. I'm not afraid of using them for longer ranges, what worries me is how well the bullet will perform at ranges under 100 yards with a muzzle velocity over 3,550 feet per second. I think the bullet may expand and fragment too quickly to make a quick clean kill. I really like the Hornady Interbond bullets. They're a bonded bullet so they hold together better at close range, and they shoot very well out of my rifle.

Well the gun definitely performed well in WY this year, first shot was a kill on an antelope about 200 yards out, used ballistic tips and demolished the liver and the left lung. IT was in those nice WY high winds also, used the compensator on my leupold boone and crocket and worked like a charm. My son was with me and saw his first kill, I think he was way more excited than I was. AG

Congratulations! Pictures?

TAM, if i was going to get a WBY for deer sized game with an elk hunt thrown in every so often, it would be the 270 wby mag also. i currently use a 270 wsm and my dad uses a 7RUM.

That's pretty much the situation I'm in. I set the rifle up specificly for coues deer but with the intention of using it for any deer, antelope, or bear sized animals. Most of my elk hunting is with a bow, but given the opportunity I'd love to see how it preforms on an elk.