Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

If you could any unit, any time of the year.....

/>36A is the most over hunted unit in the state for coues. It would not even be considered once to hunt there for a raffle tag.

Apparently you haven't hunted 33. Talk about over hunted. As for not considering 36a for a raffle tag, on most days i'd probably agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I really don't like 36a for WT but it wasn't that long ago that the raffle tagholder wounded an absolute GIANT Coues in 36a. Not to mention the Stockwell buck came from there. If I had permission, I'd also post a mid 130s buck taken out of 36a not too long ago too. Something raffle tagholders would dream of.

I can tell you one thing, if I had the raffle tag I probably wouldn't go to 36a to look for a "worthy buck" but I wouldn't hesitate to head down there if one was seen and needed a closer look! Which is how most raffle tags are filled anyway, regardless of unit OR outfitter.

It's about time and money. Someone will always have the time and someone else will usually have the money.

Someday I'll have both!!

• Like 1

33 is hunted a lot but its a large unit many areas don't see pressure, since the fires the deer numbers have increased. PLENTY of areas to hunt alone. Speaking of nutrient rich burn areas it might payoff to hunt 29, large range with good access. My focal points would be 33, 32, 31, 29, and 27 in the insane steep nasty stuff only psychos hunt in. Hunt like it's your last Jan-March and Oct-Dec. Best of luck to all involved! Shoot straight!

33 is hunted a lot but its a large unit many areas don't see pressure, since the fires the deer numbers have increased. PLENTY of areas to hunt alone. Speaking of nutrient rich burn areas it might payoff to hunt 29, large range with good access. My focal points would be 33, 32, 31, 29, and 27 in the insane steep nasty stuff only psychos hunt in. Hunt like it's your last Jan-March and Oct-Dec. Best of luck to all involved! Shoot straight!

LOL. Unit 27 for me. I am psycho, and I hunt there.

• Like 1

I would hunt lots of units and have fun with the tag and friends. Probably would end up taking a buck I liked and not worry about score. I hope your friend enjoys the tag and doesn't stress too much.

I understand its a huge decision! The payment for the raffle is very small (lower that a standard tag!!) for what you can achieve by having it. I would use the provided guide (I think it includes guide services?) like a water well and pump him for info til he's dry. Have fun, possible learn a new unit and harvest a nice deer, no matter the unit or time of year, it's dang near once in a life time if that. I posted good units earlier but I'm sure there's better and I wish you luck!

I never pointed out 33 was the best thing since Sliced Bread, but 33 has a ton of backpacking opportunities, what does 36 A have? A mediocre deer population and X amount of drug trafficking going on at any point in time throughout the year.

My unit sucks . . . No my unit sucks . . . Jeez guys you are starting to sound like my friends in Idaho. But I bet 33 and 36A are both better than ID.

Love it! Awesome country!

Love it! Awesome country!

As I get older, I realize when hunting in unit 27, my brain always writes checks, that my body can't cash anymore :lol: Maybe someday. another hunter might stumble upon my bleached out bones, on some steep, and desolate ridge.