I am planning on doing some bear hunting this weekend and spending most of my time behind the glass. I am going to be hunting in 6B, however I do not know the first thing about glassing for bears in big steep canyons.

Do they prefer the north slopes vs the south facing? what vegetation will I most likely find them in? Alot of it seems to thick do I need to go more south?

Any tips helpful hints or even maybe places to check out( via PM) would be very helpful! Thanks to all and to all a great season!

P.S. Will be trying to call too have never called a single critter in but you can never count out beginners luck.

What Becker said. Food source is the key. When you find it you will know because there will be plenty of sign. Good luck and hunt hard. Oh yeah and bears stand out like a sore thumb in the glass. have fun!

Just look for big black volkswagons slowly moving across the prickly pear hills...

• Like 2

Try a fawn in distress or rabbit distress call.

Adam

Thanks I will try both

javelina call is the same as a jackrabbit call depending on the brand... they may tweek it a little but basically the same... get an open reed long range call and put a hurtin on it... open reeds are more versatile. you can move out to the tip for higher pitch or down on it for a more lower tone like fawn or jackrabbit. try to make a cub bawl sound and mix it up call for as long as possible.

don't forget your lion tag.

good luck

James

• Like 1

My Javelina call is my best bear call. Have called in close to fifty bears with that call.

• Like 1