Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Drew Unit 29...

Hi All,

My friends and I just drew unit 29 in the leftover draw. I have hunted here in the past but it has been probably 15 years. It is actually the area I drew as my first ever deer hunt back in the day. Back then my Dad and I hunted pretty high up near some of the peaks in the Chiricahua's. Is the action better down lower in the mountains or is up high still pretty viable? Any pointers or insite would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harley

I am planning to head down there in a few weeks for a scout trip. We are kind of planning on heading in past the monument up in the hills. Is there any place anyone suggests we check out or avoid?

Every area the game and fish website recommends holds deer. Hunt all the canyons neighboring the areas that the game and fish site suggests. Deer are all over the unit from the base of the mountain to the top.

do not over look the big burn area in and around portal

The burn went from Horseshoe canyon to Apache Pass yet every person that asks about 29 you suggest great areas, if you are so inclined to continue to give advice on the unit possibly it would be better suited to PM's.

I hunt these southern units exclusively for our beloved deer and grew up in these units. I've put hours upon hours of time in 29, 30a, 30b, and 32 and the information given on azgfd.gov is about as good as it gets. The action up high is still as good as ever. They've had great rains this year and the deer are spread out through out the range.

not like I know any secret spots - i'm pretty sure I've basically made replys to the s/e part of the range in 29- if i'm corerect I mentioned burn in portal and horseshoe canyon - if this happens to be your honey hole then maybe a pm from you may have been a better way of saying hey stop giving away all my good spots . sorry

they are not the really good spots

I didn't say they were my honey holes by any means and if they were the last thing I'd do is draw attention to them OPENLY but that being said a little discretion would probably be the best course of action. I know of several people who have spent a lot of time in Horseshoe and it isn't the easiest place to access. Speaking of access there isn't a lot near Portal but since its not one "of the good spots" I guess you're not interested.

I've never even applied for a deer tag in 29!

I've done a number piggy/archery January hunts over the yrs.

Seen lots more muleys than whities

did you actually look at game and fish info- the one place I mentioned is stated there with dozens of others - other than saying check the burn - you gave more info on that than me - get over it - its a huge unit

Thanks for the tips. I think we are going to start near the peak I normally hunt near and start working our way down the hill and south at the same time during our scout. Is seems like the advice from hear and other searches have kind of given me a couple good pointers. Last year we hunted 20a and because the burn was so fresh there was not much sign of anything around the burn area other then just a couple straggler cows and a lone deer or two. I know it has been a couple years since the burns in 29 though.

Harley

did you actually look at game and fish info- the one place I mentioned is stated there with dozens of others - other than saying check the burn - you gave more info on that than me - get over it - its a huge unit

Get over it? I've been over it as soon as I hit the post button. I've helped a lot of members of this forum from hunting in Mexico to elk hunting in the prime northern units to general gear questions yet each and every time that I have offered unit specific information it has been through pm's, phone calls, or emails. It's more of a respect issue for other people that have put in the time and effort than anything else. You are free to offer advice and information as you see fit, I was expressing my opinion as I am free to do as well. Funny to me that you say you've never applied for the unit that you felt you needed to give advise on.........Oh well it is almost season and I can't wait to start seeing some of the stories get posted

Get over it? I've been over it as soon as I hit the post button. I've helped a lot of members of this forum from hunting in Mexico to elk hunting in the prime northern units to general gear questions yet each and every time that I have offered unit specific information it has been through pm's, phone calls, or emails. It's more of a respect issue for other people that have put in the time and effort than anything else. You are free to offer advice and information as you see fit, I was expressing my opinion as I am free to do as well. Funny to me that you say you've never applied for the unit that you felt you needed to give advise on.........Oh well it is almost season and I can't wait to start seeing some of the stories get posted

This man right here has been one of the greatest help I have ever ran into and just let you know only did he tell me and show me some areas to hunt BUT he packed out my deer that I was lucky enough get.... Thanks Phil

29 is a good unit if you do your homework. Lots of coues high and low. The first few times I hunted it was hard work trying to locate the bucks, but once you pattern them its much easier. I have only archery hunted the unit.

Are you planning on camping? Any conerns with illegals and drug runners? I got this unit too for the first time in ten years and am wondering if camping is a good idea?