Sign in to follow this  
AZGameHunter

6A December Rifle Tag

Hunters, Unexpectedly, I finally got drawn for my first deer hunt here in Arizona. I will start off by stating I am a total newbie to deer hunting tactics and strategies for Arizona. I grew up in Michigan with a total different perspective of what deer hunting there is like. I have a couple of great resources (friends) here in AZ that I have been seeking advise from while listening and learning from there experience in hunting AZ whitetail. I ran into a really nice lady behind the optics counter at Cabelas who told me about this website.

With the 6A hunt unit being as large as it is, I am looking for a general direction in where and when to start my pre-hunting scouting adventures. I am not looking for the honey holes or secret spots. I am ready and willing to do the foot work, but I just need to be pointed in a narrowed down direction. Thanks in advance for thoughts and suggestions.

Not many coues are seen north of Stoneman Lake rd during that time of year. Use goole earth like its the Bible. PM me if need be I never shot a coues deer before but Im part 6A.

Wow, you picked a DOOSEY of a first hunt... With a December tag(you lucky dog!) I'd find south facing slopes and glass. A LOT. WTs are found in all the major canyons and side canyons. Pick an area with access to a few different canyons and camp out behind your binos. Don't forget to bring a warm jacket, it can be COLD in them canyons. Also, bring a few spares, some of those roads have teeth. And hope it doesn't get wet on you're hunt, you don't want to meet 6A's infamous mud...

• Like 1

Id be happy to provide you some intel.

PM if youre interested.

Great unit and great hunt, welcome to the site.

What a great website! Thanks for the rapid responses! I really appreciate the insight and help offered. 6A nut and SWDesertRat I will take you up on the more details to come with a PM. I will follow up with more tomorrow.

yes it is an awesome website lots of great people on here from getting advice to prayer request its great but anyways check out the deep canyons south of the 260

Thanks for the continued suggestions from everyone. I have been looking steadily at a lot of the hunt areas mentioned above on google maps as well as trying to locate a current 6A Forest service planning map. Where would be a good place to pick one of these maps up at?

Are there better choices of maps that I should be looking for? I did purchase the current 1:24,000 Hunting GPS map for my Garmin. It does show a lot of map detail and several several watering holes.

Thanks again fellas!

I've seen quite a few coues bucks south of Clear Creek over the last few years. December will be touqh. The weather will be the deciding factor. If you get snow, move further south in the unit and glass the south facing slopes like antmo23 suggested.

• Like 2

I grew up in that area. My family owned the crooked H ranch which runs from Clints Well to Verde Valley. I have seen coues in every part of that unit but the most has been along the verde river, headwaters of fossil creek, and towel canyon.