Sign in to follow this  
twowindy

New rules for bobcats

There are new rules this year for selling your bobcats.You have to turn in the lower jaw to G+F in order to get your export tags,so make sure you save the lower jaw when you skin them.No jaw no export tag.You can read more about this in the trapping regs.

You might want to check with G+F on that.The way I understood it was if your going to sell it you need an export tag and you cant get an export tag without the lower jaw.

I have the letter and new regs in hand that were mailed out to all licensed trappers in Az that was sent out in early July. It states in the letter, paragraph 2, sentence 1, " Probably the biggest change to the regulations is the required submission of the lower jaw of all TRAPPED bobcats."

In the 2013-2014 trapping regs it states under New Rule Changes to R12-4-307, " The lower jaw of any bobcat TRAPPED in in Arizona is now required to be submitted to the department at the time of purchasing a bobcat seal.

In the letter I mentioned above, at the bottom it states "for clarification contact the department at 623-236-7374

Bowhuntaz1 my bad, I went to game + fish today and asked them and you are right just trapped bobcats.I think its kind of lame on there part though.trappers are just going to say they called them in just so they dont have to clean up the jaw and fill out the tags.We were selling the skulls for 20 to 30 dollars its going to put an end to that

Good luck rossislider if your up this way this winter let me know, I'm going to try to get out calling more this year.

Good luck rossislider if your up this way this winter let me know, I'm going to try to get out calling more this year.

You just let me know when and I'll be there!

Bowhuntaz1 my bad, I went to game + fish today and asked them and you are right just trapped bobcats.I think its kind of lame on there part though.trappers are just going to say they called them in just so they dont have to clean up the jaw and fill out the tags.We were selling the skulls for 20 to 30 dollars its going to put an end to that

AZ G&F said they are aware some trappers might try to be sneaky and say the bobcat was shot rather than trapped so they can keep the skull or not hassle with removing the jaw. I would not want to go head to head with them when I am getting my CITES tags. Just use dikes and snip the jaw bone behind the last molar and be done with it.

It is too bad for those who use the skulls. I have a vast collection of skulls and realize collecting will come to an end for a while.

The reason this new regulation is enacted is to combat the same stuff that happened last year with California trappers where antis came in and tried to claim that the bobcats were being over-harvested and the practice of killing bobcats should end. By collecting lower jaws the G&F in AZ can have a tooth bisected and the true age of the bobcat determined. With that information they can provide important data on the harvest of bobcat each year and thus hopefully thwart antis when they come knocking (which they most certainly will).

In my opinion the problem surfaces with the lack of juvenile bobcats showing up in the data collection. Most trappers in the field will pass up taking juvenile bobcats. Other state trapping associations with comparable bobcat populations asked to collect jaws for data recommend the taking of juveniles to reflect the true age breakdown of the population. For many of us, it's a tough crossroad.

The alternative if we don't arm ourselves against the antis is a shortened season or a quota. A month less taken off the beginning was debated at length at G&F but luckily didn't see the light of day. Quotas would be disastrous.

The collection of jaw data is CRUCIAL if we want to see trapping continue as it is now practiced.

• Like 1

Hyperwrx beat me to it. It will be a pain to get the jaws for all the trapped cats. You have to have them cleaned to get your tag. Just one more thing I have to do to keep trapping....

• Like 1

I dont understand why called in bobcats are not included if they are trying to keep accurate records of the total harvest,seams a little one sided to me.Im a caller and a trapper and to me this should apply to all bobcats.Just my opinion.

I dont understand why called in bobcats are not included if they are trying to keep accurate records of the total harvest,seams a little one sided to me.Im a caller and a trapper and to me this should apply to all bobcats.Just my opinion.

Kinda reminds me of the reporting on archery deer verses non.......does not make sense that all cats would have to be handled the same way..

• Like 1

You just let me know when and I'll be there!

Don't forget me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any chance I get to give Cody a hard time is a good time!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

If the G+f are trying to keep track of how many bobcats are taken each season it only makes sense to me to count all of them that are taken.If they cut down the harvest for trappers they should do the same to predator callers its only fair. BIG BROWNS I wont forget you.