Sign in to follow this  
medmo

Rifle Tag Help, UNIT 6A, AZ, Please?

My son has a Unit 6A tag. He took his first deer, (doe), last year with a Kaibab Junior's only hunt. We have spent a couple of weekends scouting, (hoofing/glassing) and were tripping over mulies. We finally found a few Coues in the lower elevation, (scrub desert), of the Southern tip of Unit 6A. Are we on the right track? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I probably only have one more weekend to scout his tag before the season starts. Thanks

You are on the right track. And youre doing it the right way. Even though there are Coues throughout 6A, for the October hunt it will be easier to find them in the lower country.

When I lived in Flag we used to hunt 6a for coues but we always hunted the deep canyons off the stoneman lake road area. Be warned, requires lots of time on your butt with glasses pressed against your eyes and if you kill one you have a through canyon hike on your plate to get the deer and then back. get a topo map and look for what you think is a deep manageable canyon and go and glass it. We used to hunt one canyon that had an indian ruin out on the end of it full of arrowheads and pottery, also lots of COues, in 4 years we killed 5 deer out of it. You can also call Dan Caputo(I think that is who it is who is warden in that unit) and ask him where the best concentrations are right now. good luck AG

Look in the canyons South of the road from Camp Verde to Strawberry before you get into the pines. I have seen some nice bucks in there glassing for bears.

Will k.

you can find some absolute monsters by Childs near Sther lake at the southern portion of 6a, be advise...no wimps allowed here and it's heck of a drive to get there and out

Good luck on your hunt I will be up there too, but I don't know where we will be camped just yet.

Thanks for the scoop. Where we finally started spotting them is some really rough desert country. More "poke'ya and hurt'ya" type cactus per square foot then I have seen anywhere in AZ. I'll be hitting it again but will remember my leg "gators" this weekend.

elkhunter- I don't have the regs in front of me but I think Stehr lake is actually in unit 22 with that childs road being the boundry.

Saw a pretty nice buck this summer in W. Clear creek about a mile north of bull pen.