Sign in to follow this  
Trose

AK Caribou

My brother and I have a deer hunt planned for Kodiak Island in late October, but recently a friend of ours who lives in Fairbanks asked if we would like to hunt Caribou on the Northern Slope instead. Caribou over Black Tail seems like a no brainer to me, however i have not been able to find much, if any information on a Northern Slope hunt in late Oct. I know temps will be lows of 15-20 and highs of 30-35. I was wondering if anyone on here has information, knows someone, or has an Alaskan Hunting forum they could direct me towards? Any help is much appreciated.

Alaska outdoor directory forum is probably the best place.

Is your friend proposing a hunt off of the hall road? If so, I believe there is a 5 mile corridor on either side of the road that you can only archery hunt within. You could do the 5 mile hike, but it will suck. Also, I believe caribou are rutting during the early part of October and during the rut the meat is pretty much unedible.

The Kodiak hunt will give you more options ( duck hunting, fox hunting, fresh crab, fishing, fishing and deer hunting).

• Like 1

I've heard the meat is bad that time of year because they pee on themselves for rutting reasons. If you an antler man I'd go for the caribou, if you want meat (and are able to bring it home) I'd go with the deer. Either way though , your in frieking Alaska!!! Your gonna have fun!!

I rather hunt Caribou over the next few weeks rather that in Oct. Most places are already hitting freezing temps at nigh and the bugs will be almost nill in another week. Definitely join the forum and ask plenty of questions. There are a lot of good people on here to help you out.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/2-Alaska-Hunting

Thanks for the info all.

@azgutpile Yes, we would be hunting off of the haul road and I was planning on using my bow. Thanks for the heads up about the meat, I would hate to kill one and find out it tastes horrible.

@PRDATR thanks for the link, I will check it out.

I would take a fly in caribou hunt over backtail but not off the haul road. I think non residents can kill up to 5 bucks on Kodiak.

/>I would take a fly in caribou hunt over backtail but not off the haul road. I think non residents can kill up to 5 bucks on Kodiak.

I agree, but when you add on the waterfowl hunting, fox hunting, fishing and scenery I would lean towards Kodiak. A fly in hunt to the southern brooks range for moose and caribou is on my list as well.

Caribou hunting above fairbanks is high on my list as well. I had considered it for this year but other things had to take priority. Be prepared to shell out some bucks on the flyout portion of the trip, they are real proud of their planes and fuel up in that part of the world.

All rutting undulates piss on themselves. That's not what makes them nasty unless you roll meat around on a nasty hide soaked in piss. What makes caribou nasty is that they eat all the dirt that cows have pissed on and drink piss puddles. They are not edible during this time

Kodiak island blacktail hunting is A LOT of fun if done in late October/early November when they rut. Both types of hunting are great but if I had the choice, Id go Kodiak. Mature bucks are beautiful. Theyre like a cross between a coues buck and a mature mulie buck.

• Like 1